Rain Rain go Away

dnh

Mar 27, 2015
Richardson
We have had near record rainfall the past two weeks. I had drained the pool about 1/2 to lower the CYA (poor timing on my part). After re-filling the pool, the CH was around 225-250, the TA was around 100. Now I am seeing the CH around 200 and the TA about 110. To decrease the TA, I added enough acid last night to bring the Ph down to 7.2 and turned all the water features. I haven't checked the CYA lately, I have trouble reading it on cloudy days, but I would guess it is also lower than 40 now.

A couple of questions: Do I need to run the pump 24/7 with the water features to get the pH back up?

I will get some calcium chloride to raise the CH. What is the best way to put this in the pool? Do you mix it up first in a bucket, or just sprinkle in the pool? How much should I add at one time, and how long to wait before each application?

The pool looks great, I went through the SLAM process after refilling. I am keeping the FC between 5 and 7 and CC was 0 last test.

Water temperature is around 74.

Don

I know but we have been so dry. It's annoying, mine dropped below 70 AGAIN this week. :rant:

No, you can run the pump shorter times. Just play around with it.

I would dissolve it in a bucket, but I'm overkill on not putting things in the pool in neat form. Except Bleach.

Run the water features for a few hours to the better part of a day then recheck the pH. See where you are. Every pool is different -your water features and the # of them will dictate how much aeration and pH rise occurs.

on the Calcium, I can't comment. I've never messed with the stuff, wait a few an answer will appear.

Use Pool Math to decide how much Calcium to add.
mix in a 5 gallon bucket woith your arm until the granules have dissolved and then pour it in the pool. repeat until you have put it all in.
You can only dissove maybe a 1/2 coffee can of Calcium in 5 gallons. So there is gonna be quite a bit of 5 gallon bucket mixing.

PS. dont freak out when you feel the water in the bucket get warm... calcium chloride has a habit of raising the temp of water.

Pool calculator said to add about 17 lbs of calcium chloride to get to 275ppm. I added 12 lbs of hth calcium plus, waited 24 hours and re tested. Results said CH is 300 ppm. I re tested two more times and got the same result. Not sure how it got to 300 from 200, pool calculator said 12 lbs should only raise it by about 45 ppm. The original measurement of 200 was also done twice. Does the CH vary depending on pH or chlorine levels? Not sure what happened. I'm OK with 300, but I would like to know what could have happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.