Do I need to SLAM, OCLT passed

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
Here is my situation. First of all we have had tons of rain in the DFW area. So constant battle with keeping pool water level at a manageable level, maintaining chem balances etc....
About a week ago I go out one morning and notice around the edges of the pool's swinouts, steps and the safety ledge that runs the entire bottom around the pool and a couple areas on the walls in the deep end what looked like maybe a build up of dirt like substance due to the all the rain. So I get the trustee Aqua Bot out and brush the entire pool and let cleaner do its thing. Now the water has never really looked cloudy, buts it's hard to tell since most days in the last several weeks are overcast. I can see the bottom. The above process cleans up the pool nicely and at night with the light on is when it looks clearer.
Test results over the last week are
FC 3.5 to 4 depending on what day and time test was done
CC 0.5
TA 100
PH 7.4 to depending on day tested
wtr temp has varied from 71-78F
CYA 60
Cart filter was cleaned a couple days ago.

So last evening I see the same thing appearing. So at 8PM start the OCLT FC 4, CC 0.5
This morning at 7AM FC 4, CC 0.5

I then go thru the same process of brush and run Aqua Bot. I very carefully swiped as area with my finger to see if I could tell if it is just dirt deris or something else.
It appears to be slightly green in color. So I am assuming that I have a extremely mind beginning of an algae bloom even though the OCLT passed.
So should I SLAM anyway?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it's been almost a month since I started this post. I woke up this morning to the same stuff again. Kind of a light, what appears to be a dusting of a brownish looking substance. Again I can lightly fan the water with my hand right above it and it boils up like dirt.Then it shows a brownish greenish color.Water looks good until I disturb all of it. Same process again, brush and run robot. I plan on doing the OCLT tonight again.
FC 5.5
TA 90
PH 7.6
CYA 75
CH up to 190 from 160 two days ago.
Salt -3100
OCLT TBA

I too have a FB pool and am here in TX. Lots of heat lately. First thing I notice on your recent test is the FC is low. Based on your CYA (rounded up to 80) and SWG system it should be a 6. The recent sun has probably been brutal on your FC. It has for me. I suspect that you should perform an OCLT as soon as possible to confirm any FC loss and do a SLAM if needed. If you continue to see a dusty green substance on your pool floor when you brush, SLAM it. Mine was that way, and it also laid on and in my LED lights as well.

Also, add some liquid chlorine right away just to spike that FC a couple points higher until you get your SWG dialed-in where it needs to be.

In Dallas as well. I had a lot of soil runoff from flower beds (and the yard in general) that I never had in the past, and had similar balancing issues (and was never sure if I had algae or just a lot of sediment). Running my pump 24 hours a day, and constantly breaking down and cleaning my filter, probably helped just as much as balancing the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.