Hepl on salt

zzrguy

May 15, 2015
Setauket , NY
Ok so I need to salt my pool I've been looking online and I see pool salt and water softener salt both are pure salt so what is the difference beside the price. Will water softener work I ask cause some time the pool salt is not available but the softener salt is plus a lot cheaper.

It absolutely will work perfectly and is a better choice because of price. "Pool Salt" costs more because it says pool salt. Its finer, (pulverized) but that's all.

The only catch is to make sure it doesn't have Iron remover, or resin cleaner labeling on the bag. We usually suggest SOLAR crystals, but any will do. Look for purity, and it will be the same as pool salt. :goodjob:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Cool thanks. So basically it will take longer to melt into the water.
If the water is clear and balanced and just awaiting salt, slow melting is not always a bad thing. Are there any children in the house? Hold Diamond Day, where you dump it in and let the kids swim through clouds of crystals they scoop up. They'll mix that salt better than any pump or brush.

I have a slow leak and the pool was empty this years so I needed to fill it the Pool Guy said don't add salt till we find the leak so I didn't but have been adding shock well the pool got a little funky after the little heat wave we had last week so I'm sick of adding shock so I just want the SWG to be up and running so I can stop throwing money in the pool. I've gotting the cost of chemical down to $250 a year on average to up and run the pool for the year and just with Shock this year I'm over 125.

What do you guy usually spend a year my pool is 16 by 42with a 20ft long 12ft deep end

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.