Pool Equipment Update

Jun 23, 2008
New Orleans, LA
This fall I want to update my pool pump & filter, as my current equipment is over 15 yrs old.

Would like to go with a Hayward 1hp 2-speed pump with a Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter.

I plan to run the pump 24/7 on low speed.

Would this setup work with the 1-1/2" pipe I currently have?

Thanks

It should work fine although you could go with a smaller pump if you wanted. That will give about 2 1/2 turnovers per day on low speed. A 3/4 HP with give you about 2 1/4 turnovers per day but use much less energy.

Although more expensive to buy, a variable speed would probably save you even more money over the life of the pump than any two speed plus give you the flexibility to have lower flow rates when you only need 1 turnover per day or less.

I am a huge fan of pentair clean and clear plus cartridge filters. The larger the better. Combine that with a 3/4 hp wisperflow and you are in good shape. The best option would be an intelliflo VF, but that can be cost prohibitive. I would go with a Clean and Clear 320. I have never put a C&C on a pool and then had a complaint (other than cost with install).

Thanks for the advise.

While looking at 3/4 hp 2-speed pumps, I find that they are all 115v.
My electric supply at the pool is 230v.

Should I consider a 3/4 hp 1-speed pump, or will this defeat my plan to go 2-speed for energy savings?

I would think the 1-speed 3/4 hp pump whould use more energy then a 2-speed 1-hp running at low speed.

Your comments are appreciated.

The WFDS-3(2) is a 3/4 HP two speed pump. Unfortunately, I think it may only run on 115v. The service should not be that hard to change if needed. Just use one side of the 230v and run a neutral wire from the breaker box.

Also, do you have solar and is it mounted on a roof? If so, a two speed may not work for you anyway.

Please take a look at the Intelliflo pump. Over the life of the pump, you will end up saving a lot more money than a two speed and you have the flexibility to optimize your flow rate.

Thanks Mark.

I have decided to go with the IntelliFlo VS3050 based on your recommendation. I do not have solar panels or any other type of water feature.

I'm still trying to decide on the size of Cartridge filter.

Leaning toward a Pentair C&C Plus 320 or 420.

I've read on this forum that when it comes to a filter, the bigger the better.

Would the 420 be too big for my pool & 1-1/2" plumbing?

Thanks for your input.

As far as filters go, there really is no such thing as too big. This is especially true with cartridge filters. Larger mean less cleaning over the year and you could probably get away with once a year.

It will have 2" couplings but if you are replacing everything, I would suggest plumbing everything on the pad with 2" plumbing and then adapt to 1 1/2" for the pipes to the pool. This will help with the head loss on the pad and make easier to interface with the pump and filter.

mas has it right, do everything on the pad in 2 inch. If you have multiple suction and return lines, reduce down to 1.5 after you do a 2 inch manifold to bring them togethor and you will get conciderable better flow. 2 1.5 lines leading into a 2 inch manifold can cut your head pressure into half of that which is derrived from 2 1.5 lines going into a 1.5 inch manifold. You will get dramatic flow increases. You can only move about 36 gallons a minute efficiently through 1.5 pipe. After that you ahve severe diminishing return.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.