From sludgy coffee to being able to see bottom & question about Intex SWG

May 15, 2015
Upstate, NY
This is our 3rd year with a 14x48 Intex pool. We left it up through the harsh NY winter (half in hopes it wouldn't make it though...) but it seems to have held up fine. Last summer stunk because we only had a few weeks of swimming weather where the pool stayed warm enough, so I got lazy adding bleach and ended up water issues. The first year we had it, most of the summer was very warm and our oldest son swam constantly and upkeep was easy.

We had so much snow at the end of winter, the pool went from having a couple inches of water in it to being half full. Started filling with the hose last week to get the filter going to see if we would need to drain it and start over. Last Friday night we hooked up the sand filter and turned it on and I added a pack of HTH super shock to start. The pictures are from before we started filtering, then on Sunday and the last picture was yesterday (Thursday). Still a bunch of crud that settles to the bottom (the pollen on the trees blowing isn't helping it), but no more microscopic tadpoles things. Just wanted to "brag" a little as I've been reading here since we got the pool and the tips have helped a lot.

Anyway, even though I'm not sure we are committed to keeping up with a pool once this one bites the dust, is it worth it to invest in an Intex SWG? I can get a 15,000G one for about $80 right now. I'm thinking it might make upkeep easier and even if this is the pool's last year, there should be a little resale value via Craigslist along with our sand filter. Any opinions?

IMG_3909.jpgIMG_3912.jpg

Thanks. Here's the most recent pic from yesterday. It wouldn't let me add all of them and then the thread had to be approved... It's almost clear, which honestly I'm amazed. I was half expecting to find a dead body of something in there, but there was just lots of leaves. Our yard being surrounded by hundreds of years old maple trees is what makes me feel that a more permanent pool probably isn't going to happen.

I think I will get it. Our youngest is nearly 3 and would probably enjoy being able to go in this year too and the water would be easier on his skin/eyes I assume.

IMG_3937_zpstztpljrx.jpg

Yes, TFPC water is silky and nice! Easy on the skin and the eyes. Good work!

jblizzle says we couldn't have cleared up your pool without you! :mrgreen:

We have zillions of trees too and punted the Intex and built a pool. No regrets on that. We run our VSpump a lot on low rpm to keep the tree stuff skimmed off the surface and off the bottom.

Welcome to TFP. Nice job getting the water cleared up. Do you have a vacuum that you could vacuum the bottom?

I have a small hose vacuum floating around somewhere that I need to look for. That's my next order of business. It'll be a while before there's any swimming though. The water is currently an icy 52 degrees. Last weekend my husband got in with his waders to finish fishing out the leaves and mop up the bottom where leaves had been decomposing. I ordered the SWG from Amazon Warehouse and it should be here Tuesday. I noticed they had gone down on Walmart.com to $99 for both sizes and then looked on Amazon and they had a handful in the Warehouse even cheaper.

Congrats on getting your water clear. We had a ABG several years ago in Kentucky and the maintenance was a nightmare. We did not know about this site and could not keep the water in balance to save our life.

Last year, we bought a new 18x9x52" Intex with a SWG. We learned about this site and life was heavenly. Our pool was truly a TFP. In fact, I am installing a widemouth Heyward skimmer this weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.