Another crazy solar pool heater diy idea....

Aug 16, 2011
Are you guys familiar with 'pillow tanks' used for water storage? Can be used for agriculture or potable water needsome etc... Any ways the sizes vary from small to huge...

I have an idea to route pool water into a black storage tank, let the sun heat the bag, then route it back into the pool.... say I have a 10'x14' 2400 gallon bag. I could use it seasonally then store it in the winter.

Thoughts? If you Google pillow tank you'll know what I'm talking about. Made from high strength pvc material. I don't like the idea of buying new solar panels when they are only useful about a month or so on each end of the swim season here in AZ And have them exposed to the elements the rest of the year...

Are you suggesting continually moving water through the bag?
It is much more efficient to heat a lot of water a couple degrees that a little water a lot of degrees.
And solar heating is about sqft of exposure to the sun.

How big is your pool?

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.