Question about what to do while I wait

lefty51

Platinum Supporter
Well, I sure could you some advice. I posted the other day about opening my "green" pool and received some very good information. Here is where I'm at now. I put things on hold and did a lot of reading on this site waiting for my TF-100 kit to arrive today. But apparently UPS had a traffic mishap between Durham and Greensboro N.C early Tue. morning. It was to arrive Fri. 5/15, but now has been pushed back to Tue. 5/19. Anyway, my questions are what would be the proper course in the meantime so as not to let my pool regress. The pool right now seems to be clean as far as green algae and debris is concerned. I can see the bottom of the pool and it looks clear. The water is a very cloudy light blue. I am assuming that means either Calcium is high ? or there is still algae growing. As far as I can tell my old test kits are saying that the PH is between 7.6 - 7.8--- TA is about 100 to 110--- CYA reads about 100 on the test strip and Chlorine on all three tests shows above 10ppm. How much of that is FC I can't tell. I added 1 gallon of bleach yesterday and the SWG has been on running at 50%. I have been running the pump 24/7 since I opened it 8 days ago, but this afternoon I turned it off and set the timer to run the normal 8 hrs like last year between 8 am and 4pm. Is there anything I can or should do in the meantime ? I guess I could run a sample by the pool place and maybe get accurate readings, hopefully and report back here. Luckily it's not warm enough to swim yet. :)

That is on my list tomorrow. I noticed the pressure is running 2 lbs higher than it normally does at about 12 instead of 10. I'm pretty sure I have got some build up in there. If I let the pump run just 8 hrs a day and keep the SWG running at normal operating level which is about 40 to 50 % will that maybe hold off the algae until I can test properly

thanks Patrick, it's amazing how much you folks have taught me and what I've learned from browsing this site in less than a week. If I would have found this site years before I would have taken over the pool duties from the boss and probably saved thousands ! Like the others I've read, I sure feel stupid, but you all are very understanding. Thanks again

I think just about every member on this forum could say the same thing you just posted :cheers:

Nearly all of us are just lowly pool owners that found a better way and now like to pass on the information ... you could be the next TFP Expert teaching others ;)

Yep :cheers:

No reason to feel bad or be hard on yourself.

I just told someone that exact same thing in another thread tonight Lefty. He's new, and feels terrible about not knowing what to do right from the start. I mentioned some go a long time or never know. You're on the right track now. Thanks for the nice words about the forum. Keep reading and we will be here to help. Knowledge as you already realize is all we are really about. This stuff isn't any great mystery at all.

Don't mention it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, latest UPS update has my test kit in Nashville, supposed to be here late Tuesday. I deep cleaned the filter yesterday and it needed it. I know I'm be impatient, but using my old test kits I'm showing the following:

TC -- over 10
PH -- 7.6
TA -- 100 to 110
CYA -- 100
Salt -- 3500

The water is still cloudy, can see the bottom drains and bottom looks clean, but seems to me to be getting a tad bit cloudier. I think TC has come down some (not as dark as before, still rusty looking shade).
SWG is set at normal level for maintaining CL (based on last year with pump running 8 hrs during the day) Without getting ahead of myself :rolleyes:, my SWG says ideal level is 3500. Would it hurt to go ahead and bring it up to 200 -300 above that according to SWG recommended levels and maybe add some bleach or should I find something to occupy my hands in the meantime :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.