Decreased flow

May 17, 2009
First time opening our pool. Pool company closed it last fall. I removed the return plugs, the bottle that was screwed into the skimmer, plug in pump basket. Replaced both drain plugs in the pump, 1 in the filter, and 1 in the heater. I opened the skimmer line. I primed the pump and I do get water flowing into the pump basket. I would estimate that it is filling up about 1/2 way and with good flow. I have 4 returns and the first 3 have water coming out but at a reduced rate. Last return has no water coming out of it. I am getting small bubbles out of the first 3. The main drain has been plugged for at least 8 years. At the skimmer, I do not feel any suction when I place my hand in the bottom of the skimmer. I ran the pump for a total of 10 min today and then stopped. Do I need to run the pump longer to get the air out and all returns working or is this an indication of a problem?

Thanks

Update 6/4/15.................,,,,,,,,,
Pool company installed a pentair variable speed pump last night. It took a few minutes and tightening a couple of unions to get a full basket of water with pump running. Pump speed and jets were adjusted and everything looked great. I went back out after 40 min and noticed the pump basket had 3/4 water in it and my pressure gauge (which is new) was bouncing back and forth from 10 - 0. The level in basket is filling and flushing. I still feel no,suction when I put my hand in the skimmer. I replaced 1 o-ring in 1 union bc I had an extra. Seems I back to square one with a new pump.

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should not run more than a couple minutes for the pump to fully prime.
Sounds like something is still blocked.
Post up pictures of the equipment setup.

Low pressure and low flow indicate a restriction on the suction side.
High pressure and low flow indicate a restriction on the pressure side.
Where's the pressure in relation to last year?

Air in the pump basket generally indicates a suction side problem. I'd doublecheck all those plugs you reinstalled as well as the pump strainer basket lid gasket. While it's off for inspection, stuff the garden hose into the pump inlet and seal it up with a rag and turn it on. See if you have a lot of flow coming up in the skimmer.

I went to the pool store and got a new lid gasket and a new pressure gauge. Installed them and flipped the switch.....now the pump is not starting up. just gives a low humming noise. Thoughts? Will begin my online search.

I went to the pool store and got a new lid gasket and a new pressure gauge. Installed them and flipped the switch.....now the pump is not starting up. just gives a low humming noise. Thoughts? Will begin my online search.
Any chance a wad of leaves or pine needles got sucked in and through the basket? They'd plug u the impeller and give the symptoms you described.

Or the motor could be dead.

I dont feel any clumps. Its only had a few dead worms in it after start up. I can spin the blades with a screw driver. After checking it, I turned it back on and it hummed for about 5 seconds and then shut off. Now it doesnt make any noise. Not sure if it would overheat so fast or not.
It is a jacuzzi model 1MF-S. order number 94026110. Dated 19Jan01.

Internet search shows this to be a 1 HP. Recommendations for a replacement? Saving money on the electric bill would be nice. Again I am running a pentair ic40 system with it.

Just checked and it will hum again..motor end is warm to touch

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See update in first post
Update 6/4/15.................,,,,,,,,,
Pool company installed a pentair variable speed pump last night. It took a few minutes and tightening a couple of unions to get a full basket of water with pump running. Pump speed and jets were adjusted and everything looked great. I went back out after 40 min and noticed the pump basket had 3/4 water in it and my pressure gauge (which is new) was bouncing back and forth from 10 - 0. The level in basket is filling and flushing. I still feel no,suction when I put my hand in the skimmer. I replaced 1 o-ring in 1 union bc I had an extra. Seems I back to square one with a new pump.
Surging like you describe is most usually a stuck weir flapper or low water. The pump catches prime, it sucks the skimmer dry, loses prime, skimmer refills. Repeat.

We don't have a flapper. Plenty of water in the skimmer and it's at normal height. Pool company recommended having it pressure tested. 1/2 of the above ground piping was replaced yesterday on the install. I'm going to replace the orings in the unions and see. I did try to run a hose from the pump back up to the skimmer. Didn't notice any change in the skimmer. It does sit below the pool tho. Other suggestions?

Pump has been up and running since Wednesday morning. The suction issues were fixed by replacing the valves.

The pool got away from me Monday and Tuesday and turned into a green mess by Wednesday morning. I bought the TF – 100 kit this year and have been slamming since Wednesday afternoon. Water looks much better but it is still cloudy in the deep end. Hopefully I will be able to stop after Sunday.

In the past I have not tested cya. When I tested earlier this week it was zero. The pool calculator estimates 117 ounces to bring me up to 40. I do run a SWG. Should I put 7 pounds of stabilizer in a sock all at once or gradually add it in the pool? Is there a grocery store option for the stabilizer or do I have to actually make a trip to the pool store?

Pump has been up and running since Wednesday morning. The suction issues were fixed by replacing the valves.

The pool got away from me Monday and Tuesday and turned into a green mess by Wednesday morning. I bought the TF – 100 kit this year and have been slamming since Wednesday afternoon. Water looks much better but it is still cloudy in the deep end. Hopefully I will be able to stop after Sunday.

In the past I have not tested cya. When I tested earlier this week it was zero. The pool calculator estimates 117 ounces to bring me up to 40. I do run a SWG. Should I put 7 pounds of stabilizer in a sock all at once or gradually add it in the pool? Is there a grocery store option for the stabilizer or do I have to actually make a trip to the pool store?
You should target 30 CYA now and then use 12 FC as your shock level. When the SLAM is done, you can raise it further.

Where to buy chemicals and how to add them is covered in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals You can find CYA at Walmart, Lowes, Ace hardware, etc.

Water looked little better this morning. I am currently running the pump 24/7 at 2700 rpm at 13 psi. The old pump was a 1 HP at 19 psi. Should I increase the rpm to help clear the water faster? If so what should I bump it to?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.