New to pools and taking over from pool company - First tests today

Sir Thomas Hobbes

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2015
South Florida
First post:

I bought this house about 6 months ago in South Florida. It has a gunite pool built in 1987 which was resurfaced with Diamond Brite some time ago. We bought the house from the original owners and it appears they didn't use the pool much over the past 10 years but always had it filled and maintained by a pool company. This is my first pool so for simplicity I kept with the same pool company. They come out once a week and do quick cleanup and balance the chemicals. The primary chlorination seems to come from the tablets in the floating dispenser.

We currently don't have a heater yet and the pool is in a screen enclosure and does not get large debris. It does get sun over the day but that is limited somewhat by the screen and some trees.

I am currently paying $85 a month for pool service and don't really feel that good about it. The pool water seems ok and I haven't noticed any problems with the quality of the water. I have noticed some dark spots emerging over the past 1-2 months and now I am wondering if it is black algae spots. The pool will probably get a makeover (resurface and tile) in the next 6 months.

I am looking to part ways with my pool company and take over. I got a TFTestkits
TF-100 delivered today and here are my results. The pool was most recently serviced by the pool tech on Tuesday morning.

PH: 7.5
FC: 8
CC: .5
TC: 8.5
CH: 225
TA: 90
CYA: 55

Not sure if I will let the pool company finish out the month or take over now. How am I looking? If it is algae I am thinking I need to SLAM. I guess I should try the overnight test?

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Honestly, those are shockingly good numbers for a pool maintenance company, but not worth $85/mo in my book. You are lucky the CYA is reasonable.
Did you test the pH?

Black algae is not usual except in really badly maintained pools.

The OCLT would be a good test to ensure that there is nothing in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.