Muratic Acid

Azgirl71

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 9, 2015
Sierra Vista, Az
Today I went to Home Depot to buy more muratic acid. I figured I would get the one in the paint section since it would be stronger. However, I did not buy it since it did not have a % anywhere on it. I even asked the guy in the paint department and all he said was when he uses it that he diluted 4:1 which did not help me any. I ended up just getting the Kemtek pool MA 14.5% like I had already been using.

Does anyone know anything about this?

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Green-Safer-Muriatic-Acid-GKGM75006/202690263/

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Lowes carries the 31.45% MA, so when I need more I will go there as it will be cheaper and last longer. I am still curious what anyone might know about the one I linked for Home Depot though.

Azgirl,
Ive looked at the Green MA at Home Depot. Its just weak Muriatic Acid. There is really nothing 'green' about it.
Its marketing hype. If there is anything green about it, its that you dont need as much soda ash to deactivate the acid after washing concrete, bricks or any other type of masonry with it. I dont necessarily see that as being advantageous though.

here is a link to the mSDS on it.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/54/543a31d9-26f5-4cb1-884b-c49abf30f5c6.pdf

that MSDS says the controlled chemical is Hydrolochloric Acid < 25% content.
So, Its the 14 something Im sure.

Muriatic and Hydrochloric are the same thing. Except that hydrochloric is a more 'pure' acid with fewer contaminants. Hydro is better suited for chemistry labs and such things where contamination can skew results or quality if used in manufacturing... muriatic better suited for washing masonry and other stuff around the house...

that MSDS says the controlled chemical is Hydrolochloric Acid < 25% content.
So, Its the 14 something Im sure.

Muriatic and Hydrochloric are the same thing. Except that hydrochloric is a more 'pure' acid with fewer contaminants. Hydro is better suited for chemistry labs and such things where contamination can skew results or quality if used in manufacturing... muriatic better suited for washing masonry and other stuff around the house...

Thanks. I did see that on the sheet.

Home Depot carries the the 31.5% in the pool section. It's way cheaper than the green version in the paint section too.

My Home Depot only carries the KemTec 14.5% in the pool section. I even asked someone working in the pool and garden if they had anything stronger and they said it would begin paint if they did.

As long as the weaker 14-15% acid is proportionately less expensive, then there's no problem using it and it will fume a lot less. Of course, it's more weight to carry but if you don't need a lot of acid and don't want as much fuming, then it's a reasonable choice to use. Again, just check on the price since some places charge nearly as much for this half-strength acid.

As long as the weaker 14-15% acid is proportionately less expensive, then there's no problem using it and it will fume a lot less. Of course, it's more weight to carry but if you don't need a lot of acid and don't want as much fuming, then it's a reasonable choice to use. Again, just check on the price since some places charge nearly as much for this half-strength acid.

Just got back from Lowes....they have the "green version" for the exact same price as the regular. And the green version didn't have the strength listed anywhere on the bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got back from Lowes....they have the "green version" for the exact same price as the regular. And the green version didn't have the strength listed anywhere on the bottle.

Their web page says it on the page, but could not find it on the label either place looking online.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I appreciate it.

This is one place pool stores are helpful. They usually have 31.45 for about $ 1 less than hardware stores. Here anyway.

Yes this is true. I would have to go when my guy that knows what I did is working though as the manager would go crazy on me...lol

You may not wish to support them, but thats a personal choice.

Good info. We have four local pool stores, and one is closing because of retirement. It was the only one that sold Muratic acid. I could get a case (4) for 20 bucks. Guess, I will try Lowes. The pool section at my Home Depot is like one rack outside. They don't seem to carry it, and only have the 'green' stuff in the paint section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.