broke a pipe..whoops

samis

May 13, 2015
rockford,il
We moved into a house on November and just started opening the pool. We are first time pool owners and have to learn everything. We are having a problem with the water pressure pull in not being consistent so I took the lid off the filter to clean it. Upon putting it back on it was raining and my foot slipped breaking the pipe that exits the filter. How do I beak the seals on the pipe and put a new one on?

So you can just unscrew the piece that is in the filter.
Then right at the step is a union that you can open. If you can find the same union, you can just rebuild from that point back up and turn into the filter.
Or you can just cut the vertical pipe above the union (like in the middle), and add a coupler, new 90 turn, and new male threaded fitting into the filter.

You will need to work from the filter back to the union.

Re: broke a pipe..whoopsk

How do I beak the seals on the pipe and put a new one on?
Jaosn has covered what you need to do fairly well, but understand with PVC pipe you only get one try at making a connection. Once glued you can't "break the seal". The glue joint is forever. Search YouTube for videos on gluing PVC pipe for,some examples. You should be able to,find what you need at any of the big box hardware stores.

I think the piece that's on the first is sealed on there. What do i use to seal the pipes together?
Break that union (unscrew it) then set that vertical piece aside. Then unscrew the male adapter (the broken piece) from the filter. Take them both down to your local hardware store and they'll know exactly what you need and how to fix this.

This would be a 5 minute job if you'd ever done any PVC work before but don't feel bad. There's a first time for everything eventually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't have any tools to get the broken piece off the filter and it's not budging by hand. I think the sealed it into the filter.
It's just pipe dope. I seriously doubt they glued it there. It will give it up, you just need some torque.

IF it is glued on we simply cut the inside of it with a hacksaw blade until we have it weakened enough to then twist one ear of it with pliers, and rolling it out of there. (DON'T cut all the way through the white PVC if having to do this.)

There are different thicknesses of Teflon tape. It's usually color coded by thickness. So you use the thick stuff for larger pipes or just put a lot of wraps of the regular stuff.

I think the issue is that most people use way too much of the tape.
I had not considered the extra dope getting into the system, although there is not much to mess up in a pool system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.