Freezing and a 2-speed/1hp pump

Yes, the flex pipe was expensive, but there is not a huge amount there. Plus with the great variance in temperatures here, and our previous experience with broken pipes, we felt it was more practical. Also, we were trying to reduce the number of bends and crooks in the plumbing to maintain flow. We will be splicing in a fairly large (320 sq ft) solar panel system for this spring, and wanted to maintain flow as much as possible.

The pump and filter are Doughboy. I have no complaints yet about the quality of the equipment, but I am already annoyed about the expense of parts and how hard they are to get. You cannot just get on the internet and order them- you have to go through a regional dealer, who has the secret handshake and your very particular part numbers, and it is a pain. And none of the end on the pump or filter or skimmer or return are standard 1.5 inch PVC attachments. They are all some odd diameter slip fitting, so we also had to buy expensive adapters for this set up- another reason for the flex-pipe- to fit the ridiculous non-standard attach points. When we get ready to replace, it will be with something more standard.
The "local" dealer also laughed at us (really) when we asked about a 2-speed pump. We were not confident enough in our knowledge at that point to insist- now I know.

Cherie, we did have ice last week, and it was because we were enveloped in "freezing fog"- blowing around ice particles that stuck to cold metal surfaces (such as our pool rails) and formed a skin of ice. The water did not freeze however. The lowest it got was 40 degrees.

Budster, if we lived too much further north than this, I would be more concerned about freezing. I am from Minnesota, and I have seen frozen waterfalls, among many other frozen things. While we do get freezing temps, they do not stick around for more than a couple days, and the sun is very warm, so if it comes out, it will melt ice even if the air is below freezing- actually kind of interesting to see.
We do have a back up plan as well, because our power goes out frequently. If that should happen during an ice storm, we have a small back up generator. Failing that, we will go out, shut everything down, open up all the connections and drain plugs, and drain the system. We will shortly have shelter above and around the pump, filter, and plumbing, and can put a shop heater in the shelter to keep everything from freezing long enough for it to drain. Hopefully, we will not have to go that far, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Just a quick update. We finished our equipment wall out at 5' high and all pipes were wrapped already. So with the last big freeze we had, where we didn't get above freezing for a couple of days, our pool did fine. I just left it on low and changed out the skimmer sock daily because it's catching the neighbors' leaves :(* But we now feel confident that a 2-speed pump on low, with pipes wrapped and an equipment wall will be sufficient to handle the Texas winters! Amjohn, I'll try to post pictures when I get them off my camera. I procrastinated and ended up with about 2,500 pictures on my camera, which will take a VERY long time to download!

Now, for the decking this summer....

OK, I'm testing my ability to use the photobucket. amjohn, you'd asked for pictures of our set-up after we got our equipment wall up. Here are a couple of pictures (I hope).

Attachments

• Pool Equipment 3.jpg
    Pool Equipment 3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 75
Any chance you can post a bigger version of the picture?

This might help you figure out Photobucket... I wrote it for another forum, but it works the same here.

To post pictures you will have to upload them to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket( http://www.photobucket.com ) then copy and paste the Image Code here.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224 ... enshot.jpg
That is what the code will look like when you are in the post typing box, except instead of my code between the tags, your code will be there and there will be tags at both ends and it won't have the ... like mine does.

This is the code you should copy for the picture. That is where it's located on Photobucket.
[img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/launboy/Picpostingscreenshot.jpg

HTH(Hope This Helps),
Adam

Thanks Adam. I'd already made a stab at it in the Above Ground Pools under "Burying Our Doughboy". The link is there, but it went to the main page, I think, where you can select how you'd like to view the pictures. I don't recall any of the other pictures on our site that have been put in the photobucket turning out that way. So I'm sure I did something wrong. But they're there :lol:

I'll play on it a little more later and get it down better and maybe repost them later. I don't guess there's a way for us to delete a subject post we created when we mess it up, is there?

Thanks for your help.

Wow, Cherie- you went all out with that wall! We are doing something much less intense. I will have pictures soon I hope. With our pump and stuff on the south side of the pool, we just have a little roof over the system. I will be hanging heavy shade fabric from it- as the bigger concern is sun bake in the summer. My main ice arrangement has involved heavy painters plastic and bungee cords. I have kept lots of plants alive through ice that way, so figured it would work with the skimmer and pump to prevent ice build up when it starts flying around as sleet, sneet, freezing fog, etc. It did. The shade fabric is thick enough to assist in that as well.
The coldest the water has gotten was 36 degrees. We are glad we went with the "not really closing" method for closing this year. A monthly cleaning and dose of polyquat has been sufficient. The only other thing is the nuisance of mesquite leaves- they get into everything, and nothing really catches them well. There is a batch of them south of the pool that will be firewood before spring. Regular tree leaves got caught in the leaf net, no problem.
The solar system is sitting in our garage, waiting for us to get around to constructing a rack for it. Target date- April 1.

LOL! Yes, it ended up looking a bit overbearing, without a deck to go with it! I wanted it 5 ft high so I could have a little privacy as I'm bending all over the place trying to hook up the manual cleaner, usually with no help from my family members! SO I have privacy now :-D The boards you see bolted onto the cement pad is where DH was ABOUT to install the wall, until I got home and made the suggestion that I needed a bit more room than that to maneuver around the equipment. So those will eventually be removed when we add the deck.

I like your idea of the fabric to shield the sun. The equipment catches full sun, the west sun. So it fries in the summer. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the sun off it, without making it look awful. I think it will be easier to figure out once we getting the decking installed.

We still have a LOT to do and with the economy as it is, not so sure we'll get it all done now. But we're shooting for this summer anyway.

Did you see my post where I photobucketed the dig/installation of our pool? It was my first effort - so you'll need to click over to the right of the page to view them in whichever format you want. We're so thankful to have a pool and are so anxious for summer to come back around so we can really enjoy it this year. I still have the sandy stuff on the bottom if I run the pump. I cleaned it, backwashed, and have left the pump off since the last freeze ended and so far, nothing on the bottom. But I know when I turn it back on, in no time, I'll have the sandy stuff on the bottom again. I just haven't had the time to try an MA kill (or as Yoda would say "Not try. DO or NOT do!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.