First Testing Results

Fresh plaster will demand a whole lot of acid. That's normal. Comes with the territory. Sort of like newborn babies cry a lot.
Check and adjust pH every couple days. The care you give the plaster now will be repaid in a few years when you don't have splotches and scale.

Those pucks that you add to your chlorinator adds to your CYA. You should lay off of them since your CYA is way too high. You should stick with liquid bleach for now. It might not be a bad idea to replace some water to get that level down to around 50. Save the pucks for when you go on vacation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a lot to take in and my head was spinning for the first couple of weeks. Over time, it will begin to sink in and you will be an expert in no time.

All of the chems are important, but for different reasons. Your CYA level tells you what your FC target should be.
Check out this chart:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Your CYA of 80 means that your target FC is 9 and that your should never let it get below 6. With a CYA of 80, it would be very difficult and expensive if you have to battle algae. Since you let your FC get below 6, you could be on the verge of an algae outbreak.

1. Take out all pucks.
2. At liquid bleach to bring your FC up to the target of 9. Use pool math to determine how much bleach to add: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
3. Consider replacing some water to get your CYA back down. Again, pool matH can help you figure how much water to replace.
4. After water replacement, re-test CYA to verify your CYA level.
5. Do not let your FC level get below your minimum for your CYA.

Also, can you add your filter type to your signature? Thanks!

The key is learning what your pool needs and only adding what it needs.

Solid forms of chlorine (powder/pucks) add either calcuim (which increase CH) or stabilizer (which increases CYA). Solid forms of chlorine are also acidic and can make your PH and TA decrease.

My pool is about your pool's size and now that I have my pool dialed in and am in a set routine, my pool likes about 1 jug of 8.25% of liquid bleach a day. I get my bleach from Wally World because it is cheap, convenient and they always have fresh bleach. Some folks are able to get their hands on cheap 10% bleach. FYI, bleach looses its strength over time and when stored in the hot sun, so always check the date. Plain generic brand bleach, no splashless, no scented.

Ok, you are getting on the right track. I want to reemphasize two things.

It is important to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Add acid to bring it down to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.8.

It is also important to never let your chlorine level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart

CYA will only drop with splash out, rain over flow or water replacement. CYA reduction is a 1 to 1 ratio with water replacement. 50% water replacement will reduce CYA by 50%, or 80 to 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.