From Green Swamp to Cloudy blue Need help

VMR

May 12, 2015
Modesto/CA
Hello, I'm new to this site. Great site by the way!
Ok for weather purposes Im from Modesto, CA.
My pool was a green swamp over Winter/Spring. My pool needs to be replastered. Pool company came out and said since no cracks Im ok to use for a couple seasons.
Pool is now blueish, Yesterday when I brushed sides it is no longer green algae, it is now sandy whiteish cloudy dust.
I followed pool math on here and my hubby poured in bleach which made a difference, we were going through many bags of shock and we were not getting anywhere. Today I brushed sides and bottom that I could reach and was less sandy cloudy dust, but still significant. Hubby added 1 1/2 128oz jugs of pool chlorine. I've been using a water hose connected to leaf catcher to scoop out tons of leaves, gritty debris, and palm tree seeds. Has made a difference. I can now start to see second step but very faintly still cloudy.
We noticed a leak on booster pump and since from Leslie's we disconnected and they are repairing, apparently propeller is warped due to our hose pinching and not enough water getting through. Wont be fixed until Tuesday.
My hubby has been cleaning filters but PSI is not going down anymore showing 30 was going down to 18 or 20 not anymore. We have been dumping chems for 5 weeks has been cloudy for 3 weeks no sign of green algae since yesterday (when I brushed bottom I saw a tinge of green) today none just sandy cloudy dust. Since my CYA went from 50 to 0 I know from reading that I need borax and maybe soda ash? Anyhow if anyone can let me know how to conquer this cloudy pool and help me get it swim ready I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your time.

Test results
On May 13, 2015

FC: 4
TC: 4
CH: 320
CYA: 0 was 50 on May 5th
TA: 80
PH:7.2
Phosphates: 300

VMR, I'm sure one of the site experts will chime-in soon, but it sounds as if you are moving in right direction. If you've poked around on this site, you know they always emphasize reviewing the Pool School and ABCs of pool maintenance sections. Also, continue to implement the SLAMming process until your chlorine readings are stable. The one thing I don't really understand from your note is how the CYA went from 50 to 0 in such a short time. Also, stay away from those "bags of shock"! I got roped-into those for a while by the local stores - what a mistake! Stick with the liquid bleach and tools from this site. You won't be sorry. Good luck!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The first major problem you have is that you are relying on the people trying to sell you stuff to test your water. And historically, pool stores are REALLY bad at testing water. (CYA does not just drop from 50 to 0 in a week ... unless you replaced all your water). You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

I would not make ANY adjustments until you have a test kit and post up your own test results.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Hi VMR, and welcome to TFP :handwave:. I agree with what Texas Splash, stop using the shock immediately. Continue with the bleach (unscented, and NOT the splash-less, just ordinary chlorine bleach). Read Pool School and the SLAM process (I just did this on mine, and it's crystal). Also, get a TF100 XL test kit with Speedstir, it's what is used on here (if you haven't already got one, that is). As TS said, the experts will be on shortly, so do some reading and get familiar with the SLAM process.

Good luck, and post pictures, you'll get all the help and encouragement you'll need.

Edit: Jblizzle is in the house :rockon:

Thank you to both of you!
I have a little test kit of my own but will be ordering one like what Ive seen here. My kit only reads the basics little cheapy. Today's reading were chlorine at 5 and PH 7.2.
Ok. Going back to pool school and searching for a test kit that I don't have to wait for.

Thank you.

Thank you for the link. Went out and bought a better attachment for our hose and PSI went down after cleaning cartridges with it. After reading link and instructions, pretty bummed that we didn't know to write down PSI starting point when we replaced cartridges. Had to wait to order my new test so meanwhile relying on a local (not chain) pool store for tests. Will update when I have my test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had the same issue when I SLAMed my pool a month ago, it's all the dead/dying algae and dirt that you're stirring up when you brush. Clean your filters (I have cartridge filters also, and had to clean them 4 times) and keep up the SLAM and brushing, it will clear fairly quickly. The good news is that your water is turning blue, now you have to filter out the crud in the water. Keep going, you are closer than you think as Jblizzle said earlier :D

Filtration is your friend from now on :)

Oh man!!! This pool is driving me nuts! The super nice lady that answered the phone at the test kit store was very nice and said if I don't get my kit by Friday, I most likely will get it by Tuesday (due to the holiday). I have been brushing and vaccuming and I keep pulling out bags of stuff! Leaves, seeds, gravel looking items, and maybe pool chemical gunk? Will post a pic. I have a question while I'm waiting on my kit. I read on here somewhere I can't remember the post, that you can do a messy backwash even if I have cartridges. I will lose water but will help get algae dust out. I also read about a skimmer sock. We have been cleaning cartridges but there seems to be so much dead algae that isn't being filtered out or is being sent back into pool not sure. Help! How can I help my pool get rid of the dust algae? I'm keeping up with the cartridge cleaning but what else can I do? I don't mind putting the work in, but I really want to use this pool by June 13th.

You can not backwash a cartridge filter. You could remove the cartridge and open the filter drain to vacuum to waste.

The algae is continuing to grow until you can SLAM. So not sure if the filter cleaning is helping much.

I received my test kit :)
FC 5.5
CC 1.5
TC 7
CYA less then 20
TA 150
CH 500
Looks like my CYA is low I never saw the black dot dissappear and I filled to the top of tube.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reading what to do to properly slam now that I'm not guessing :)

Ok I've conducted my tests a few times and confirmed my CH is high. Before I continue any further should I be thinking of draining or should I raise my CYA and Slam then deal with CH? My pool is blue but cloudy; I can now see my shallow end and all of my steps. Last night's test Results:
FC 18.5
CC 1.5
PH 7.2
CH 575
CYA less then 20
4 hrs later I was at 18 FC
5 hrs after that in full sun FC was 4.5 CC 1 everything else same.

That CH is not too terribly high. It is manageable by keeping the pH a little lower. You could probably put off replacing water for the CH for 1-2 year depending on how much rain you get.

The pH is not valid when the FC > 10ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.