Losing prime when filtering

Apr 1, 2013
Corinth, MS
So I just added a V-green 165 VS pump to my system after my pump motor locked up on me. I had to replumb the pump housing and motor because the new motor wouldn't fit with the old configuration. After the replumb and changing out the shaft seal and all o rings, I can get the pump to prime when the multi port valve is set to filter. Oddly, it primes and works perfectly if the valve is set to recirculate. FYI, I also changed the spider gasket in the multi port valve. I'm lost. Why would everything work properly when set to recirculate but not when filtering? Help!

This may be a dumb question, but did you put the top of the valve back in exactly the same position? Other than that, I'm not sure. Have you checked the other settings? Like backwash, closed, rinse, to make sure they work as they should?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the water moves freely when set to recirculate. The pump basket is full with no air bubbles. The SWG is full with no air bubbles and the jets are rolling. A minute or so after switching to filter I get air in the line and lose prime. The water sits about an inch below the pump basket lid and only fills halfway up the SWG. It still flows through the returns but I'm obviously pulling air from somewhere.

Have you backwashed recently? When my sand filter gets dirty my first indication sometimes is a half full pump basket. After I backwash and rinse, the pump basket is full again when set to filter. Hows PSI?

I did backwash a few days ago. My PSI normally runs about 10 or so. Currently, it's in the 15-17 range. I am in the middle of turning the pool from the winter swamp back into a backyard oasis. I will give that a try later today and see if that helps any.

Yes the water moves freely when set to recirculate. The pump basket is full with no air bubbles. The SWG is full with no air bubbles and the jets are rolling. A minute or so after switching to filter I get air in the line and lose prime. The water sits about an inch below the pump basket lid and only fills halfway up the SWG. It still flows through the returns but I'm obviously pulling air from somewhere.

What does the pressure gauge show during this process? Does it spike before the prime loss?

So I went home and switched the valve from recirculate to filter. Some of the water from the SWG drained out while turning the valve but the pump basket stayed full. Switched the pump back on and the pump basket stayed primed but the SWG never filled back up. It got about 3/4 the way full and stayed there. The pressure never changed. It stayed around 15 PSI. There has to be something going on inside the sand filter right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.