Beyond Frustrated - Leveling Help!!

May 14, 2015
Troutman/NC
So we bought a Intex 22' X 54" pool end of last summer, intended to have it up and running by now.... but guess what? We CANNOT get the ground level. We rented a skid steer which did most of the work but still had to shovel, rake, smooth etc. We got it to what we thought was within an inch of level and started filling that bad boy up. Thought I'd be floating by the weekend :cool: . Nope :shock: . Last night it was about 1/3 full and we noticed it was more like 6" out of level. We cannot rent the skid steer again and obviously didn't know how to level it properly. So before I level my Husband I thought I'd come to you fine folks.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the best tool(s) to use to ensure it's level? We used a 2x4, anchored the center and spun it around. ;)

2. What tool(s) are the best to use to dig/loosen and level NC red clay/mud/dirt?

Any and help is much appreciated!

So we bought a Intex 22' X 54" pool end of last summer, intended to have it up and running by now.... but guess what? We CANNOT get the ground level. We rented a skid steer which did most of the work but still had to shovel, rake, smooth etc. We got it to what we thought was within an inch of level and started filling that bad boy up. Thought I'd be floating by the weekend :cool: . Nope :shock: . Last night it was about 1/3 full and we noticed it was more like 6" out of level. We cannot rent the skid steer again and obviously didn't know how to level it properly. So before I level my Husband I thought I'd come to you fine folks.

Here are my questions:

1. What is the best tool(s) to use to ensure it's level? We used a 2x4, anchored the center and spun it around. ;)

2. What tool(s) are the best to use to dig/loosen and level NC red clay/mud/dirt?

Any and help is much appreciated!

Was there a level on the top of the 2-4?

Rent a transit for the day. Chances are the place you rented the bobcat from will have them as well. They also make a laser level version too. A 2x4 with a level on it won't give you the best results.

http://www.ccmrental.com/files/transit-level.jpg

You get the transit level at a point in your yard. Then put the stick on your blocks, that will tell you the elevation. It should be the same the whole way around.

When we had an Intex pool we didn't have the posts on pavers and it was fine...but we had a very small one, only 10-12 feet maybe? So less water weight, and of course ground varies. If you've disturbed/tilled up the dirt under the post area that could make them sink for sure. Is the pool still set up? Are the posts plumb? Can you look at the low areas and see what is wrong? 6" is pretty far off level, you should be able to figure that part out without too much trouble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.