Unlevel Pool Questions...help

May 6, 2015
San Jose, CA
Split by moderator from HERE.

I'm so glad to have found this thread because now I can ask a few questions about my own unlevel pool!

Ok so this is my second year with the Intex Ultra frame. I had multiple Intex Quickset pools in the past. The area in which the pool resides has always had some low spots. I've done the best I could to try and make it level, and it did improve somewhat. My Ultra frame is a much larger pool than my previous ones, so with that in mind I had 3 cubic yards of sand delivered. I have a 3" sand base that I kept wet before packing down with a tamper(?). To that I placed a heavy duty tarp and I placed indoor/outdoor green turf 1 foot around perimeter of pool. There is no sand exposed for the sole purpose of preventing a washout. Everything appeared and showed level, and I thought I did pretty good for being a girl!

First season pool was up I quickly discovered that the pool was off by about 1 1/2 ". Didn't think it would be a problem and left it as it is. I had 4 teenage nephews rough housing and jumping off the edge of the pool with no problems, so I kind of figured I was good. Slowly the pool has begun to settle and now this season my pool is off by about 5". :sad: I use the little squares on the liner as my guide. Ultimately I have 7 (out of 18) legs that need to be raised by 2 - 21/2 ". There does not appear to be any stress areas with the liner and all of the legs are standing relatively straight. About 90% of the time I am the only one that uses the pool, and I just float and drink.

Here's my dillema: I live in California and we are suffering a severe drought. Draining the pool completely is not an option. This is where I need suggestions;
  • Is it possible to dig the sand out from the high spots one leg at a time?
  • Or do I want to raise the low spots?
  • If I drain 2000 gallons off would this be enough to use the floor jack and 2x4 method to raise the legs and place pavers?
  • Do I rent an onion tank and save the 2000 gallons to refill pool?
  • Would it be better to have potable water delivered if I end up having to drain, say 3000 gallons?
  • Is potable water safe from parasites and other creepy organisms?
  • Will I have to do anything to the water other than regular pool chemistry?
  • Or do I leave the pool as is and hope for the best?

Anyone care to come help me? :shark: It makes me sick to think about all this, because I fear I don't have the strength or experience to pull this kind of task off. Sorry for the wall of questions.

Re: Unlevel Pool

Jennifer, it is best to start your own thread as to not mix info another poster is going through with info you may need. It can cause lot of confusion.

The quick answer for you is basically the same as Jfers and that is to take the pool down and start over. Dig the high ground out by starting at the lowest spot.

Jennifer, my husband tried digging out from my high legs as best as he could without bursting the liner and it only lowered it by half an inch in one corner and made the legs very unstable as the liner was still on the unlevel ground. He then tried the jacking method to no results as I didn't feel like stressing the liner I was sitting under with 3,300 gallons of water above my head. My husband is very "don't tell me nothing" kind of man and he even agreed that it needed draining and even made me a vacuum drain from an old hose so It's completely drained when I woke up today & ready to move out the way to dig in ;) I would try to find somehow to store your water if you can like a cheap CL pool? I just drained my down the hill from my house as I sit on 4 acres in the middle of nowhere with plenty of water : )

Jennifer, my husband tried digging out from my high legs as best as he could without bursting the liner and it only lowered it by half an inch in one corner and made the legs very unstable as the liner was still on the unlevel ground. He then tried the jacking method to no results as I didn't feel like stressing the liner I was sitting under with 3,300 gallons of water above my head. My husband is very "don't tell me nothing" kind of man and he even agreed that it needed draining and even made me a vacuum drain from an old hose so It's completely drained when I woke up today & ready to move out the way to dig in ;) I would try to find somehow to store your water if you can like a cheap CL pool? I just drained my down the hill from my house as I sit on 4 acres in the middle of nowhere with plenty of water : )

Great information. Thank you for sharing. I kind of knew this would turn into a thorn in my side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.