Waiting on Test Kit to arrive. Suggestions Please.

Good morming. I am a newbie to the site and trying to get started with this season. At the end of last pool season before coving our pool I added a rapid shock and a algaecide and later covered the pool for winter.

Monday I uncovered our pool to find the water to be very clear. Thinking that I might be off to a good start I filled pool to level started the system and checked for leaks. I had my water checked with the following results:

FC: 0.7
TC: 0.7
CC: 0
pH: 7.1
TA: 42
CH: 130
CYA: 200
Sat index: -0.7

I was told not to add anything to the pool except partial drain and refill to try to bring the CYA down. Is there anything else that I should be doing? The pool water looks crystal clear. I ordered the K-2006 test kit, but it might not be here till next week. Thanks V

I would recommend adding some bleach as well as partial draining an refilling to reduce CYA. Are these results from the pool store? I am happy to see you ordered a test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason for the bleach recommendation is that your FC is to low and it cannot fight off algae and you could end up not having a clear pool.

+1 on Bleach suggestion. Where are your test results from?

Do you have the simple OTO test kit? If so it will get you by until the real kit comes in.

You can use pool math to get an idea of your total gallons, then dose the pool with bleach accordingly (do this after you do your drain/refill...as you don't want to waste the precious bleach). Hopefully you can get the CYA to a reasonable number before the algae takes over.

First, welcome to TFP!

If you wouldn't mind, could you update your location to include the state? It helps us greatly knowing what region you live in.

Assuming your test results are correct (but pool store results rarely are) then you will need to raise your FC considerably to compensate for the very high CYA. You will probably need to replace some water to get that down and keep things managable, but I hate to make recommendations based on pool store testing. CYA is especially their most error prone test.

I noticed in your signature you have the pool frog. Is that something you intend to continue using? I'm not a fan of it personally, the minerals it adds are silver and copper and the trichlor pacs are very overpriced IMO. Just want to get a feel of how you are planning to care for your pool this season before we start throwing out lots of ideas and suggestions your way.

I'm not sure I trust all those test results, especially not the CYA. Are those from a test strip? Or does the pool store use some fancy reader? I doubt they used a drop-type turbidity test (what you'll have in your K-2006) since the scale only goes to 100.

It's just awful high for a pool that has already had a bunch of fresh water added at the beginning of the season.

My two cents: split the difference. If CYA really is 200, then minimum FC is 15. If you have no CYA, then shock level is 10ish. 2 jugs of clorox 8.25% will get you to 10. Then add another half a jug every day until the kit arrives. You may need a whole lot of bleach initially, but your pool won't be that voracious all the time. Once it get's balanced, it'll be cheap and easy thereafter.

When the kit arrives, test FC first. If it's above 10, stop adding bleach and let FC drop, and then you can test everything. Above 10 FC, the pH test reads wrong. Post up your results and we'll be able to advise. In case any of your test results look bizarre, take a gander at Extended Test Kit Directions so you'll see some of the cautions and alternate methods.

Good morning: Still waiting on test kit. After dumping some water and refilling I added some clorox and left running all night. I couldn't find a cheap test kit locally but found strips with cya test. I know the strips are not going to be as reliable but I was curious since the store said my cya was 200. Strip test:

TH: 100
FC: between 5 & 10
PH: 7.2
TA: 80
CYA: 100

Any thoughts? Thanks V

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.