Pool Cover

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
Just recently, this week, the pool cover is now covering the pool for most of the day, during the week.

It comes off at night for about an hour after it gets dark at around 7 pm to 8 pm, to go swimming.

Question, is this a problem as the pool is not exposed to full sun in the daylight and if so what unforseen consequences are there? Some posts state that the pool becomes cloudy as the chloramines cannot burn off and other posts state there are no issues, which is correct or are they both correct but one needs to remove it every (number?) of days for one day during sunlight?

Obviously not using as much chlorine and the pH remains at it's target of 7.5.

ORP level set at 690 on PoolPilot Digital SC-60 with acid feeder - power setting 1, with cover on the SWG hardly ever turns on and FC is about 3.0 - 3.4 (ORP hovers around 695), without cover SWG is on about 60% of the time with FC 4.4 - 5.0 (ORP drops to around 675 -685 before building back up, CyA is 30.

On Sunday, the cover is off most of the daylight hours.

Thank you to anyone who responds.

If you never expose the pool to sunlight you will eventually have some minor problems. Most commonly, the CC level builds up and the water can get cloudy. How long it takes before either of those become an issue is highly variable. Pretty much any pool should be fine if covered for several days, some can go weeks. At most, it only takes a couple of hours per week uncovered during the day to avoid problems.

Thank you,

That was very helpful.

That clears that up (excuse the pun). With our trade winds, 16-24 mph blowing over the pool uncovered it goes down to between 77 and 78 F, with cover at 7 pm it is a pleasant 82-83 F. Also it has less chlorine, sufficient it seems to control algae, but the same ORP.

So I will wait until issues arrive if ever and then uncover a day or two prior to the control days.

Aloha.

I was covering continuously for the last 4 weeks and got into the cloudy pool issue. It was partly my fault- I took the cover off while my neighbor was mowing his pasture nearby- diesel fumes, pollen, grass, horse pucky- all into my pool. I had massive amounts of yellow stuff (mostly pollen) but also had cloudiness and green tinge. Probably should have kept the chlorine a little higher too, as I was letting it get a little low. I am now opening the cover in the late afternoon to let the full sun on the pool. Water temps start at 82 during the morning and go upto 87 in the late afternoon, but a cool front came through with gusty north winds today, so that will change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.