Leftover Chemicals

May 12, 2015
La Grange, KY
I bought my house over the winter and have begun the process of opening the pool for the summer. It's my first pool and I plan on following the methods laid out on this site. However, the previous owner left a bunch of stuff in the garage and I was wondering if I could use that up before buying the stuff that recommended. The list of chemicals is below:

- Aqua Chem Shock Plus
- Pool Essentials Shock
- Aqua Chem Super Water Clarifier
- Aqua Chem PH Down
- Swimway Alkalinity Plus
- Swimway Conditioner
- Swimway Blast
- Bioguard Maintain Balance Pac
- Natural Chemistry Metal Free
- Pool Essentials 3" Chlorine Tablets

Are any of these work keeping and using up?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum Kevin,

Some of those may be useful sure. But the truth is, we have no idea of telling you which ones without some good reliable test numbers from your pool. Our method is about understanding than which products to use or not use. Generally for Chlorination we prefer Liquid Chlorine/Bleach because of the reduced side effects. Knowledge is the key, and then based on good testing and understanding what to put in.

I see you have a K2006, so run and post up a full set of numbers, and we can tell you more.

For sure, we will say dump the clarifier. I don't know about the Blast...but lets see some numbers and work out the rest from there. As soon as you can, start hitting the topics in Pool School, and begin with the ABC's. The links are in my sig line.

Good to have you aboard :cheers:

Thanks. My test kit won't be delivered until tomorrow, but as soon as it arrives, I'll post some numbers. I've just finished filling the pool and have added about a gallon of bleach to help keep the algae in check until I can test it. The pool is currently fairly clear (can easily see the bottom), but with a slightly green tint.

You can look up the MSDS on your items and get a good idea of what they contain, or look on the packaging to see the active ingredients. If you find anything containing copper, don't use it.

The clarifier is useless. Chlorine and good filtration take care of water clarity real good on thier own, and some clarifiers have undesireable side effects.

The metal free may be useful if you have metal staining in your water, but uneeded if you don't have metal stains.

The alkalinity plus will be useful to raise TA if needed, it is likely sodium bicarbonate (AKA, baking soda).

The shocks and tablets can be useful if you ever need to raise CYA, but double check and make sure they don't contain copper.

No idea which balance pack you have, but the 100 will raise TA, the 200 will raise PH, and the 300 raises CH.

The swimway blast is potassium monopersulfate (MPS) which is a non-chlorine oxidizer. More useful in spa/hot tubs that use bromine. Not needed in a chlorinated pool, since chlorine functions as an oxidizer.

The ph down is dry acid, sodium bisulfate. While it brings ph down, it also adds sulfates. Sulfuric acid and MPS also add sulfates. Water high in sulfates can damage concrete and salt cells if you have a salt water chlorine generator. Using muriatic (hyrochloric) acid is the better choice and it does not add anything extra to the water.

Hope this helps. :)

Aqua Chem Shock Plus is 58.2% Dichlor, some clarifying agent, and borate. Fine to use if you need to increase your CYA. 1 LB will raise your CYA 2.3 ppm and your FC 2.5 ppm.

Pool Essentials Shock is 53.5% Trichlor. Not sure what else is in it but there is no copper. 1 LB will raise your CYA 2 ppm and your FC 3.3 ppm.

Aqua Chem Super Water Clarifier goes in the garbage.

Aqua Chem PH Down is 93.2% Sodium Bisulfate. You can use whats left to lower your pH then switch to Muriatic Acid.

Swimway Alkalinity Plus is probably Sodium Bicarbonate. If it is you can use whats left to raise your TA if needed then switch to Arm and Hammer Baking Soda.

Swimway Conditioner is probably Cyanuric Acid. If it is you can use it to raise your CYA level if needed.

Swimway Blast. I have no ideal what's in this. Google shows nothing. It is probably a powdered shock or algaecide.

Bioguard Maintain Balance Pac. More information needed. There should be some numbers such as 200, 300, etc.

Natural Chemistry Metal Free is a metal sequestrant. It keeps metals suspended in the water instead of laying on the floor making a stain.

Pool Essentials 3" Chlorine Tablets is probably 99% Trichlor. If it is you can use these to bump up your CYA around mid summer. 8 oz tab will raise your CYA 1.9 ppm and your FC 3 ppm.

Without any test results no one can advise you when or if you can use any of these products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.