Home test kit

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Can someone recommend a good home test kit? I'm particularly looking for something that tests CYA. My understanding is that with an SWG we should have our CYA at 60-80. When we have taken water to 2 different pool stores their tests only go up to 30 or 40! I've learned more on these forums in 2 days then the weeks of banging my head against the wall with these pool stores. "CYA? That's not important." Really?

Can someone recommend a good home test kit? I'm particularly looking for something that tests CYA. My understanding is that with an SWG we should have our CYA at 60-80. When we have taken water to 2 different pool stores their tests only go up to 30 or 40! I've learned more on these forums in 2 days then the weeks of banging my head against the wall with these pool stores. "CYA? That's not important." Really?

Thanks for trying to train the people at the pool store! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all. Just ordered TF100- splurged on the magnetic stirrer. No more slave to the pool supply store....today they told me I will probably need to add 4 gallons of muriatic acid to get my ph right. Like a dumb newbie I listened to them. "Add 1 gallon at a time then test in a few hours" After 1 gallon I'm running to Shop Rite to buy Borax at 10 pm freaking out that I've caused permanent damage to my pool with the ph dropping from above 8 to below 6.8...I'm such an idiot...

I have to agree with Lisa. There is no reason to be so tough on yourself. Not one of us here was born knowing this stuff. You're on the right track now JH. People go for years and decades blindly guessing and spending thousands at stores with the same crummy results every season. That won't be you this year, or from now on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.