I want to deep clean my sand filter...

May 13, 2015
Russellville, AR
I am positive my sand filter has never been cleaned, let alone deep clean. Already started the pool for the season, can I still do a deep clean? If so , do I disconnect all the plumbing from the sand filter? or is there an easier way? Thanks for all your help!

You need to be able to remove the top of the filter to get to the sand. If you have a multiport on the side then just remove the top. If the multiport is on top then you may need to cut the pipes if you do not have unions. If you do not have unions this would be a good time to add them to your set up. Post a picture of your filter and plumbing and we can tell you if there is any alternative.

Nope, no easier way. You gotta be able to get the multiport off. Did mine last year and re-plumbed one more union into the mix so it's a no brainer next time. I suggest you reach in and scoop all the gunk out off the top with your hands as possible before floating all the rest out with a hose jabbing it gently into the sand bed. You ain't gonna believe how much will be caked up around the top edge of the sand bed.

I also want to clean my sand filter, but when I tried to disassemble the lid of the sand filter I also noticed the plumbing. Tried to use a pipe wrench on the one connection on the right side, but it would not budge, it only made impressions in the plastic. Here's a picture of the lines hooked up on the left side. Any advice on disconnecting these? There will be no way to remove the lid unless I disconnect the three hookups.

connections to sand filter.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.