Anyone not doing a pebble finish

Don't know the brand, but I will say this. If it's a good quality brand, it's all about the skill and dedication of the applicator. It really is about the quality of the install, if you have a good product.

Not true as a general statement at all. Pebbles tend too less than some others because many of those finishes have naturally colored stones in them. A poor install can influence a pebble finish discoloration as well because the base material is still a plaster based substance. If you want the least susceptible finish in terms of discoloring, it would be all tile. Very, very expensive. Quite easily approaching 1/4 the build cost depending on the tile.

Not true as a general statement at all. Pebbles tend too less than some others because many of those finishes have naturally colored stones in them. A poor install can influence a pebble finish discoloration as well because the base material is still a plaster based substance. If you want the least susceptible finish in terms of discoloring, it would be all tile. Very, very expensive. Quite easily approaching 1/4 the build cost depending on the tile.

Ha no way will that be happening. We are set to do just white plaster but I want some color as I feel the white can look dated. I like the smooth finish of the white plaster. Was thinking that a Quartz was a way to get smooth finish and some color. It's also half the price of the wetedge satin matrix.

I was told by my PB that Wetedge Luna Quartz is being discontinued. Any knowledge on that? I'm gonna call wetedge today and find out directly from them.

You can mix Quartz with plain plaster to tint it but do plenty of research first on the mottling that will occur. I happen to love it in ours. The price was right and since I maintain the water correctly I expect to get the maximum possible lifespan out of my plaster.

I have white quartz....:D - it's not pure white like traditional marble plaster, but it's close.

It's superior to old school plaster and way cheaper than pebble. Of course my PB wanted multiple thousands of dollars more to do quartz over traditional plaster. Then luck worked out in my favor and I got it for free.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, interesting.

That he mentioned discoloring of Quartz. Tinted plaster is by far the most prone to uneven coloration. You can almost count on having at least some with a tint job. I don't know about WetEdge discontinuing Luna Quartz, but they will replace it with another I'm sure. I prefer Quartz as the best alternative. It's smooth, and more durable than plain plaster, much less expensive than pebbles. I would strongly suggest one based on what you've said. There are so many good choices out there. Any color you want. We blended two from CLI to get what we wanted and we love it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have white quartz....:D - it's not pure white like traditional marble plaster, but it's close.

It's superior to old school plaster and way cheaper than pebble. Of course my PB wanted multiple thousands of dollars more to do quartz over traditional plaster. Then luck worked out in my favor and I got it for free.

And it gives gorgeous water color! Done again, I'd go closer to this color myself.

Here's one shot of mine...

Doners11_zps9de5bc4b.jpg

Patrick: Your pool is gorgeous! And I love the color. What were the two colors you blended? Can you see the bottom easily? That's the color I would love - as long as I can see the creepy crawleys..... Thanks for posting the photo. Suz.

P.S. You must be a wizard with grass. I can grow plants but not grass. Right... it doesn't make sense.

Patrick: Your pool is gorgeous! And I love the color. What were the two colors you blended? Can you see the bottom easily? That's the color I would love - as long as I can see the creepy crawleys..... Thanks for posting the photo. Suz.

P.S. You must be a wizard with grass. I can grow plants but not grass. Right... it doesn't make sense.

We did a typical 12 sack mix. CLI Sunstone Select...11 sacks of "Granite" and 1 sack of "Sapphire"

Thanks so much! We love it and yes, you can make heads or tails of a coin in 9 feet deep. Easy.

If you want that color, choose a light finish with a touch of grey/tan and a hint of blue. Just a hint. It doesn't take much. Remeber that was one sack of Sapphire that was light blue.

Color of the pool finish does not change the ability to see the bottom. The water is still clear. The only difference may be that objects in the water may blend in more with a colored background than with a white background. That said, I've never heard of anyone commenting about people being hard to see in their pool.

Patrick, Thanks so much! Now if I could just hop on over Midland way! LOL!

BTW.... when I lived in Ft Stockton, we used to go to movies in Midland. I think we got a 'new' movie in Ft Stockton once every 6 months. Way too many decades ago! Suz.

We didn't.

We went to the Builder's reference list, and emailed / called a few recent customers who did both Pebble_Sheen, or Quartz.

We both prefer both the feel, and the color of the quartz. Our pool is full sun, from 11:00 am, on out and the color is fantastic.

I think like anything the cost is a trade-off between longevity vs initial outlay. All things equal, the surface finish of a Pebble "may" tend to be more resilient over the same amount of time as a Plaster. But, The extra $4,000 goes a long way toward a re-plaster in the same interval.

Just don't go chucking cinder-blocks into either one :)P

BD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.