Anyone not doing a pebble finish

We didn't.

We went to the Builder's reference list, and emailed / called a few recent customers who did both Pebble_Sheen, or Quartz.

We both prefer both the feel, and the color of the quartz. Our pool is full sun, from 11:00 am, on out and the color is fantastic.

I think like anything the cost is a trade-off between longevity vs initial outlay. All things equal, the surface finish of a Pebble "may" tend to be more resilient over the same amount of time as a Plaster. But, The extra $4,000 goes a long way toward a re-plaster in the same interval.

Just don't go chucking cinder-blocks into either one :)P

BD

We feel the same about the feel and color of Quartz. Just nervous from what I've read and heard. Even on wetedge website they say you have to be almost perfect with your water chemical or you will see calcium and discoloration. Is your pool done?

Color of the pool finish does not change the ability to see the bottom. The water is still clear. The only difference may be that objects in the water may blend in more with a colored background than with a white background. That said, I've never heard of anyone commenting about people being hard to see in their pool.

Thanks, Bmoreswim. I think that's what I keep confusing in my head - seeing the bottom, especially people, with objects blending in more with a colored background. I've seen 2 Blue Granite Pebble pools and can tell that seeing a swimmer in the deep end would be easy. So that's no longer a concern. But the pool I saw yesterday (actually went to see the paver work, not the pool) had a very speckled finish - it may have been Blue Granite, but the PO wasn't home for me to ask. I was thinking that it might be hard for me to see the creepy crawleys on the speckled background. Thanks for reminding me of the difference. I need to focus now on how much salt and pepper speckle a finish has. I think I'm finally getting it - what will be important to me. Whew! I'm such a slow learner.

Amanda, I apologize if I'm going in a different direction on your thread. Maybe my questions and comments will be helpful to you, anyway. Take care everyone! Suz.

Beautiful! Is your pool chlorine or salt? You notice any color changing?
This is such a hard decision to make!! Lol

Regular chlorine and yes it changes a lot depending on light. Cloudy, evening etc. Salt pools are still Chlorine pools BTW. Either are great. :goodjob:

Choosing color is a struggle...was for us, but we custom blended on the fly. First batch used for scratch coat was too dark. It had two sacks of sapphire...way more than we wanted for Blue-ness. :lol:

@ Suz>>> We have a drive in here now. Three screens :shock:
Any time Suz, come on out...have a drink poolside :cheers:

You came to the right place Amanda. Now we'll all be interested in what you choose. What else does your PB sell for finish options? I really urge you to go Quartz over Plaster, but whatever, post it up and let us see when you decide. Glad to have you join us. :goodjob:

One of the bigger/high end builders here said they won't install quartz anymore because they had too many problems with it. I believe they said the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind the product? They only offer Pebbletec products: Pebble Tec®, Pebble Sheen®, Pebble Fina® and Bead Crete®

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the bigger/high end builders here said they won't install quartz anymore because they had too many problems with it. I believe they said the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind the product? They only offer Pebbletec products: Pebble Tec®, Pebble Sheen®, Pebble Fina® and Bead Crete®

They may have said it, but that is an outlier. It's quickly becoming a very popular and sought after choice. Maybe that's one builder and one brand, but certainly not the norm.

Right! I'm learning there are many reasons why PB's push toward one product over another. Sometimes, it is honest, bottom-line advice; sometimes it has to do with personal gain. Other times, it has to do with things I never imagined. Our PB has been fairly up front about why he doesn't deal with some products. (at least as far as I can tell....) But I still haven't gotten down to the bottom-line with him on the issues of the inline chlorinator and the Polaris cleaner!!! Gotta keep workin' on that! And that, is why I keep coming around here! You guys do not benefit in any way from me accepting your advice. It is generously given for us newbies to consider what you suggest and then make our own decision. You guys are NOT trying to make money off of my choices!!!

I can't say it enough - how much I appreciate everyone's advice, encouragement, and support. Suz.

We got the same bid for a Diamond Brite quartz finish as a Pebble Sheen finish when we replastered. We went with the Pebble Sheen for the longevity. I hope I don't have to refinish ever again because of the $$$$$. The finish of the Pebble Sheen is definitely not as smooth as what you will get with the plaster or quartz finishes.

We finished construction and filled the pool in March. I can't speak to longevity, of course, but we didn't have any streaking or mottling in the color and the color itself is exactly what we were wanting. It has a nice smooth finish and the quartz has a little sparkle in it which looks really nice on the steps and baja shelf.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.