Pool replaster (HELP!)

Good evening, guys. I am a newbie to this forum (hence my first post). I recently got my inground pool replastered and have growing concerns. Numerous searches on the internet kept diverting me to this site and I loved the wealth of knowledge I saw when browsing some post. So here is my story…

I have a 22k gallon Anthony and Sylvan swimming pool I recently inherited when I purchased my home. This Spring I decided to take the plunge and get the pool replastered using Sunstone quartz (sapphire) plaster. I opted to go with A&S to replaster the pool since they were the original pool builder and gave me the best overall feeling. My pool was replastered approx. 2 weeks ago (April 30th, 2015). From day 1 when filling the pool up (city water) I noticed a large discoloration throughout the whole pool. I contacted A&S and they reassured me this was normal. They informed me the plaster was “curing” and would eventually even out becoming uniformed. Fast forward to today. The pool’s streaks and blotches have not lighten up the least. I have followed their directions EXACTLY. Adding the Jacks Magic, keeping the PH at 7.0 and brushing 2 times per day, every day. Nothing has changed and the discoloration is still present. I have noticed the discoloration is smooth to the touch and less visible in direct sunlight. The streaks are more pronounced in the mornings and evenings.

I contacted A&S again today and asked for a rep to come out to my house. I am extremely dissatisfied I paid thousands of dollars for a subpar pool finish. I would like if you guys could look over the pictures and give me some feedback as to what you believe the issue(s) may be? I do not want the contractor coming out next week and trying to push the blame on me for water chemistry. I strongly believe this is a workmanship issue but could be mistaken. I am no pool expert. I greatly appreciate all feedback. I am lost at this point and very unhappy.

Pool1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pool2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
pool3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Welcome to TFP! I would be upet too. I don't have answer for you, but I don't know why they say keep your PH at 7.0. Maybe a new pool thing.

What test do you have?
Could you please update your signature with your pool and equipment information.

In the meantime feel free to explore and read through the ABC's of water pool water chemistry in Pool School.

Hi,
Welcome to TFP!

I wish your first post would have been on less complicated subject.
I dont have a lot of experience with plaster myself, but others here do, and hopefully someone more knowledgable than myself will be along soon.

I can tell you though, that the quality of the plaster is directly related to the quality of the team who installed the plaster.

So hang on there, and lets see what some other folks who read this post may have to say.

Have you been brushing it daily? If you're keeping the pH at 7.0 (seems a few tenths low to me for new plaster) I can't imagine you're getting too much plaster dust. How are the Alkalinity levels?

I have indeed been brushing the pool twice a day, every day, for the past two weeks. The first couple of days there was an abundance of plaster dust. I couldn’t even see the bottom of the pool after brushing. Now, 2 weeks later, there is no noticeable dust when brushing.

I was instructed by A&S to keep the pH between 7.0 and 7.2 for the first two week, and I did. After the first two weeks is up, the pH level goes back to 7.4 to 7.6. When I tested my Alkalinity several days ago I was at 70ppm.

The first set of pictures I posted were taken from my cell phone camera. I snapped a few more pictures tonight with my DSLR...

If you look to the left of the drain in this picture, working to the top, you can notice a “rainbow” pattern on the pool floor. This directly correlates to how the contractors were troweling the new plaster finish….

I strongly believe there was an issue with the plaster mixture. I believe it is of great importance to note while my pool was being replastered we experienced a torrential downpour. The contractors “tented” the pool but not before the plaster was exposed to the rain for approximately 10 minutes. Could that be what caused this?

Based on that it rained, it appears that the plasterer (finisher) ended up "wet troweling" it.
That will cause a whitening effect to develop on colored plaster after the pool is filled.

The water chemistry maintenance isn't going to make it improve.

Based on that it rained, it appears that the plasterer (finisher) ended up "wet troweling" it.
That will cause a whitening effect to develop on colored plaster after the pool is filled.

The water chemistry maintenance isn't going to make it improve.

OnBalance, appears you were correct!

*Update* The construction manager from Anthony & Sylvan came out to my property this morning and inspected my pool. Within seconds of viewing the pool he admitted there was an issue. I was prepared for him to push the accountability on to the myself (homeowner) , blaming water chemistry, brushing, etc. However, he did not. He admitted it was the 100% the contractor’s fault. The rain that fell during the replaster and the “tent” not being erected immediately caused this discoloration. *

So the good news is, I was able to get the contractor to take full responsibility for the discoloration.

The bad news…. His recommendation is to give the pool an “acid bath”. He believes this will help eliminate the discoloration. I have read some reviews (specifically from OnBalance) and it appears I do not want to go this route. Is this correct? The contactor informed an “acid bath” will be performed will all the water still in the pool and will not harm the new quartz finish? Is this a correct statement? I’m not a plaster expert but find it hard to believe this “acid bath” will lift this discoloration in the plaster…..

Good to hear that the PB has acknowledged that the reason for the discoloration was caused by the plaster getting wet (from the rain) and troweling.
The effect of the acid treatment all depends on how much acid is added and for how long. A light treatment won't do much harm, but a heavy dose of acid for a long time, will.

You have the correct attitude and perspective about acid treatments. If you allow them to try that chemical program, I suggest you keep record of the amount of acid they add, and for how long the pool water remains acidic.
Also, get an accurate water analysis test of the calcium hardness level now, and then compare with how high the calcium level increases after the acid treatment. I would like to hear back from you with those numbers.

I have doubts that sufficient improvement will result with the acid treatment. You have some pictures of how it looks now, then you can compare it with how it looks afterwards.
I would get the PB to agree that if the acid treatment doesn't work well, that he will remain responsible to make it right.

Generally, the contractor (or sub contractor) has the right to attempt to correct the defect. You need to check with the state contractors board as to who decides when it has been corrected and to what level.

He's going to try to take the cheap way out, because he didn't wait until the rain passed - possibly because his crew was assigned and he'd have to pay them if he sent them home. He made an error in judgement which qualified subcontractors are not supposed to do.

Don't let him roll you over, unless you have some confidence that the repair is permanent and won't reveal itself again in a couple of years.

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with my quartz plaster finish. As in your case, the PB accepted responsibility for the issue. However, they performed an acid wash, rather than bath. It worked wonderfully. This required a drain and refill, however. Plus side, didn't have a bunch of highly acidic water flowing through the equipment for several days. All of the discoloration went away. For some reason quartz plaster seems to have a more pronounced splotchiness at first. Before my replaster job even started, my PB warned me of this and gave the same line - that over time it would dissipate. Maybe that's true for correctly applied plaster, but not in my case or yours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.