Use up remaining bleach before SWCG starup?

Saturn94

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2015
SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I finished the SLAM process after spring opening and I'm waiting for FC to drop to normal maintenance level before firing up the SWCG.

I still have 6 jugs of 8.25% bleach left over. Should I just use that up first to maintain FC before switching to the SWCG?

Thanks.

How long can I expect them to maintain their potency? They are stored in shed (not climate controlled).
Just as a guess, I'd say they'll still be above 6% at the end of summer. Somewhere I know there's a graph, but the only one I can find at the moment is this link. Figure half a jug just before the party starts and the other half a jug when the last person has climbed out. That's 2 ppm before and 2 ppm after in a pool your size.

And all it takes is one "fecal accident" as the health department terms it, or a dead rat or skunk in the pool, and you'll be dumping in a whole bunch real fast.

I'd plan on using them up in the next 2-3 months in those conditions. That's how I keep few bottles from Costco and have had no problems. I always use bleach instead of turning up the SWG when I just need or want some instant response. The SWG lasts longer I feel, and is meant for a constant level of chlorine but doesn't kill as well a bolus doses of chlorine do.

I'd plan on using them up in the next 2-3 months in those conditions. That's how I keep few bottles from Costco and have had no problems. I always use bleach instead of turning up the SWG when I just need or want some instant response. The SWG lasts longer I feel, and is meant for a constant level of chlorine but doesn't kill as well a bolus doses of chlorine do.

Like you I only use my SWCG to maintain normal FC level. Once I get it set, it's rare I have to boost FC for any reason. I seriously doubt I'll need all 6 jugs any time soon, so perhaps I'll use most of it now and save the rest for later.

Of course if I do need more I can always buy some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.