Opening for season - SLAMing - Adjust PH & CYA now?

May 1, 2013
Opened my pool a few days ago for the season. I started by slamming it with liquid bleach. Now wondering if that was correct to do first. Should I have adjusted my PH and CYA prior to starting the process? At what point can I test for PH and CYA, get an accurate reading, and adjust accordingly? Do I need to wait for FC to be at a certain level? Are both PH and CYA levels affected by the high chlorine used in the SLAM process. Thank you for the help.

How could you SLAM if you didn't know the CYA level so you could set the target FC level? :scratch: Don't you mean you just hyperchlorinated your pool? We get sensitive about that term.

Yes, you should have set the pH beforehand, because the pH test is affected when free chlorine is above 10. That's why it is listed as a prerequisite in the SLAM instructions. If at any point your FC is below 10, you can test pH and TA and use poolmath to calculate the dose to fix it. Then resume. If you're well above 10 FC, just keep going and deal with the pH when it's done.

The CYA test isn't bothered much by chlorine levels. You can do it right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.