1st Pool ! Question prior to excavation

magicruiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2015
Houston TX
We are building our 1st pool in Houston. We feel very comfortable with our pb, but have questions.
It concerns the plumbing. Here is what is in the contract ( does this sound ok ? ):
40 plumbing install ,no flex conduit. ; pressure testing to 35psi to gunite; I only see 1 skimmer ( grey surface skimmer with over sized basket and 40' run of 2" pvc;
Pentair equip : 420 cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 320 chlorinator, 400,00 heater.
Paramount : PCC 2000 cleaning system w/ over 15 heads & whisperflo 3/4 hp pump,
MDX 3 debris removal drain in pool w 40' of 2 1/2 pvc , sdx safety drains, debris removal canister under deck (ADR), MV Fuse magnetic vacuum release system in ADR, auto fill, Ozone system w return side injector

So sorry for all the details. I have done a lot of reading, including what you wonderful people have contributed. But some of this I have no clue about. I don't see any mention about "returns" and I only see 1 skimmer ?

Please just read through and advise me if we have what we need. Thanks for your time !

Welcome.

What stands out to me is that ozone. Please, search the site on it. It puts minerals (metals) in your water which lead to staining and will turn blondies green.

Hi magic,
the number of skimmers really depends on the size of the pool. There is no set rule or size for having a 2nd skimmer, but if the pool is larger than 36x18, we would likely recommend a 2nd one.

As for the returns, I would query your PB about that just to be sure.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool.

We do not recommend ozone or the rainbow 320 puck chlorinator. We prefer to sanitize the water with liquid chlorine/bleach or saltware chlorine generator.
A 2nd skimmer is nice but not required.
The in-floor cleaner is expensive to install and operate. Some people love it and some don't. Most would probably recommend deleting it and getting a robot.
I would upgrade the filter to a 520.
Everything else looks good.

^^^^^^^^ what he said :) Get a salt water generator, they cost the same as chlorine/bleach in the long run, you just have to spend the money upfront...

Thanks for the responses ! So great having knowledgable pool people to turn to !
Another question... we are in our late 60's, do we need a ladder at the deep end ( 5'). I prefer not . Don't like the way they look. Also if we use a cover this winter it'll be in the way. But how else do you get out of the pool ?
Btw, what's a swimout ?

I don't have a ladder and am fine with it. However, there have been a few times when relatives in their mid 70's and up (though age is not the only reason to need one) got in our pool and were a little embarrassed that we had to assist them. It may be you who needs the ladder at some point while you are living there...though I hope not. A swimout is a bench at the level of the second step in a pool in the deep-end. They are sometimes within the pool outline and other times push the coping out around them.

Welcome neighbor!!! I'm so excited you asked about a ladder!!! Why? Because I'm also building my first (and last) pool and know very little to be able to help people with suggestions. But a ladder..... this is right up my alley!

I'm not far behind you guys in age, but I already have some annoying mobility issues. I know ya'll don't have my same issues, but I also decided against any rails or ladders.

Like the others said, make sure to have one or even two benches in the deep end (one on either side of the deep end seems good). And on the bench, which is usually 18" deep, most builders will add a step-out on top of the bench which is maybe 9" below the deck. That makes it a little easier. For me, I would still have to swim back to the shallow end to get out of the pool, but swimming is easy for me.

Instead of handrails, I wanted steps with much shorter risers than the usual 10-12" steps in pools. Even 8" steps are difficult for me. But... it would take too many 6" steps in the 3 1/2 or 4 foot shallow end. They would go too far out into the pool width or length losing swim and play space. Online, I found a picture of a pool with steps that spiral down around a 12" raised spa. So as I go up or down the steps, I can hold onto the edge of the spa until I get my canes.

I did not see a spa listed in your signature, but the spiral type steps would work hugging a curve in the shallow end. I will attach a few pictures of different ways to do steps so they don't have such high risers. I know you were asking about a ladder for the deep end, but you might want to consider steps with low risers for the shallow end. As Bmoreswim said, age is not the only reason to need a ladder or steps that are easier to use.

This photo is of my pool. It is only at the gunite stage, but you can see the steps. They're so easy to walk up and down! I love them, and my PB is quite proud of them! LOL!

Below is the picture I used for the idea.

The next picture shows what is called a 'walking ledge'. I found it online on quite a few pool builder sites from the north. Apparently in some areas, it's a code requirement. It allows someone a place to step onto in the deep end. The ledge is usually 3.5-4 feet below the water line. I wanted to use it to practice walking - retrain those memory muscles. But in some areas of the country, it is considered a safety feature for the deep end.

Here are few pictures of steps with low risers without a spa. This one shows spiral steps that hug a curve. It would work on concave or convex curves.

Steps built within a semi-circle bumped out behind the outer edge of the pool side. That way you don't lose play space in the pool.

Steps built along the side of the pool; again saving play space in the main pool body.

Steps coming from a corner (if you're building a rectangular pool).

At the least, maybe one of these photos will jump start an idea for something you can use. Or.... they might give someone else an idea. So glad ya'll found TFP. Keep us posted! Take care. Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a nice collection of pool stair pics. I like your stairs best because there is stuff on each side to hold on to. You and PB should be proud of those, very nice.

Welcome to forum! These comments are just my opinion. I am 2 months into our new pool in Sugar Land. It is about 8500 gallons and we have 2 skimmers and they both fill up with junk ( glad we did it). You will love the Intelliflo saves $$ on electricity (best upgrade we did ). No need for the chlorinator or ozone since you can bleach inject at the return line and save $$$( stenner pump, second best thing we did). I would upgrade to the next level cartridge filter, 520 ( third best thing we did ). I would reconsider the in floor cleaning system $$$$. We have a Pentair Racer and it keeps our little pool very clean ( run 1 hr per day but could do less). Autofill is a must have but at the present time mother nature is keeping us full LOL !:) Returns are very important , we have 6 in our little pool.

Suz, thanks a million for your suggestions regarding the steps ! The pictures are a huge help !! Will show them to our pb !
Rph, thanks for your suggestions. We are considering the filter upgrade. But have decided to go with the in ground Paramount cleaning system. We just increased the pool length ( now 36x18-20 )since we decided on a larger tanning ledge ( 14x7 ). Still waiting approval from our HOA. I know we have a long wait for that 1st dip in the pool so trying to be patient ����

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.