Not sure where to start...HELP!

HILL

May 13, 2015
Spanish Fort, Al
Been relying on the pool store pretty much but hot my Taylor k 2006 test kit today. Water is blue now but started as a nasty dark gross green. It is extremely cloudy. I can maybe see 5 inches of the wall. Scooped out all the leaves we could. Haven't been able to scoop anything else so hopefully we got out everything.

I have read so much, my head feels too full(if that makes sense).With the below numbers, where do I start first? I was hoping that some of the numbers would be on spot but apparently not. Also, with the CYA, the black didn't disappear even after filled to the top. I know the pool store test can be off but last week they said CYA was only 4(pretty much non-existent).

FC .5
CC 2
PH 7.0
TA. 50
CH 210
CYA black don't didn't disappear

Welcome. You will need to get add Stablizer in a sock and set it in your skimmer to dissolve. Target a 30 CYA using pool math. Also you need to at least add enough bleach to target 2 for now until some CYA is in there.

- - - Updated - - -

You also need to bring your TA and PH up a little but I will let someone else address that. I know you will need to SLAM based on your CC and how you describe your pool. PH will need to be 7.2.

Figured pool to be 26,700 gallons. How do I know how much a pound of stabilzer adds? In pool math can I just put in 0 for now and target of 30 and then take away a pound to know how much I need now? Not trying to get ahead of myself but would I start the SLAM process today or no? Lisa said keep it at 2 for now until there is more CYA(of course I forgot to mention the pound added before she commented), Jason said SLAM after putting in sock with stabilizer. Probably confusing myself. Not sure on my shock level either with CYA being under 20.

At the bottom in the Effects of Adding Chemicals section you can see what 1 pound would have added.

Or do as you suggested and just add 1 pound less than the recommendation to get the 30ppm.

You can start the SLAM right away. Just get the CYA dissolving and target a FC of 10ppm. Once the CYA is dissolved, raise your target FC shock level to that in the FC/CYA Chart. After a week, verify your CYA level.

I have another question. I have to go out of town for the weekend. Started the SLAM process today. My husband may stay here or may go. If he stays, he will be gone all day and won't be home until between 8:30pm-10pm. How much chlorine should he add in the morning before going to work since it won't be tested during the day to keep fc at 10? Also, if he ends up going with me, should I add loads of chlorine before leaving and hope it holds until Sunday evening?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday when I got back in town, I tested the water and FC was a 5. Well, my husband has been using cal hypo because he didn't want to buy bleach over the weekend. I decided to just use up the rest. Added the recommended amount last night. Before I went to bed, FC was 10.5. Well, this morning it was a 6. Added the recommended amount and checked it 2 hours later and it's a 5! Not sure why it was only 5, two hours after adding the cal hypo. CC is .5 when I checked this morning. CYA is still not registering. Trying to wait until Thursday to see if it will register. Then and I'll go from there with the CYA.

During the sun light, the FC will drop rapidly if your CYA is very low.

So how much stabilizer have you added? You mentioned 1 pound was added and then we discussed calculating to add more to reach 30ppm, but you did not report back about that.

I added another 3 pounds. I guess I was shocked at the rapid decrease because it hadn't dropped that much in an hour with it being sunny over the weekend. It got down to 5 Saturday evening but that was a whole day's worth of sun. Now it's at 2, few hours after I added more to bring it to 10. I think it's the cal hypo maybe. Wondering if my husband left it outside. I can't get any bleach until after 6, unfortunately. I will get some more stabilizer too.

It is very important to keep your chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA level at all times. Every time your chlorine level drops below the minimum algae starts growing again. Chlorine CYA Chart.

Be careful on adding more CYA/stabilizer. You definitely do not want to add too much. Total up how much you have added and verify the level in Poolmath. The only way to lower CYA is to partially drain your pool water.

Yes, I know it needs to stay above and right now shock level should still be at 10 according to the chart. I'm waiting until the CYA will register before I add more stabilizer. I couldn't make it to the store this evening for more bleach due to a very sick child. I'm sure FC has been a 0 not too long after my last post.

Ok, so my husband got impatient with this process. After I told him, it just takes time and we have to be patient. He flocked twice. Yes it did work but made more work for me. Anyway, the pool has been sitting without being turned on for awhile, because I had to wait for him to fix the oring on the filter so I could vacuum. Well I vacuumed today. Went and bought some great value bleach. Poured it in and now my water is green. Before I put it in, it looked clear and looked blue in the shallow end. The deep end was blue green and cloudy but I could make out the bottom. Now it's just green! Scared I picked up the wrong stuff.

ETA: It's says on the jug Great Value Bleach with a small 1 at the end of bleach. Is it the wrong stuff?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.