Ascorbic Treatment

Nov 29, 2013
New pool owner, have been reading about AA treatment and want to make sure I have the procedure correct.

I did it last year and had cloudy/milky pool for week.

Since then have replaced cartridge filters, were extremely old/dirty.

Not sure if I really added a sequestering agent, as opposed to what person at Leslie's sold me!

Here are the steps from what I'm able to put together:

1. Reduce chlorine
2. Because I have a cartridge filter-do not have circulator function, remove cartridges, because I can’t bypass them.
3. Pour ascorbic acid around edges of pool – approx.. 1 lb per 10,000 gallons
4. let circulate for 1/2 hour, wait until stains gone
5. Pour sequestering agent into pool – HOW MUCH??
6. Vacuum
7. Put filter cartridges back in.
8. Increase chlorine

I'm not quite sure of the time frame for this whole process -is this over 24 hours?

Thanks for reviewing and any advise given.

Greg

Yep that looks about right. Whichever AA you choose will have detailed directions. When I did the treatment when I had a cartridge filter I would just turn the pump off before adding the AA and brush it around every once in a while for a couple hours. I then turned the pump on with the filters still in and didn't have any issues and it did a good job of removing stains.

The amount of sequestering agent depends on what the product itself recommends. I'm doing an AA treatment right now and using Metal magic as agent. I doubled the amount they recommend.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy one more bottle than you need of whatever AA you choose. If you're in the middle of the treatment and the stains haven't all disappeared you'll be glad you have the extra bottle. If you don't need it you can always take it back at your convenience.

Greg,
you missed one step in bringing your pH down to 7.2

The metal sequestrant will not remove teh metal. It just prevents it from dissolving back into the water and forming stains again. Over time it breaks down and at that point will release the metals. So, adding a sequestrant on a regular basis will need to become part of your maintenance program.

Use the amount of sequestrant on the instructions of the bottle. It will tell you how much per 10K gallons to use.

Here is a very good conversation about the treatment and sequestering of the metals. JasonLion and chem geek in particular, have marvelous minds and they know what they are talking about . I highly recommend you read this and ask more questions if you have any, before doing the AA.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

Greg,
you missed one step in bringing your pH down to 7.2

The metal sequestrant will not remove teh metal. It just prevents it from dissolving back into the water and forming stains again. Over time it breaks down and at that point will release the metals. So, adding a sequestrant on a regular basis will need to become part of your maintenance program.

Use the amount of sequestrant on the instructions of the bottle. It will tell you how much per 10K gallons to use.

Here is a very good conversation about the treatment and sequestering of the metals. JasonLion and chem geek in particular, have marvelous minds and they know what they are talking about . I highly recommend you read this and ask more questions if you have any, before doing the AA.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

Thank you for info.

How do I get pH down to 7.2?

First,
you need a test kit to measure the pH,
If you need to lower the pH, then you use muriatic acid to do that.
I recommend you make yourself familiar with Pool Math in order to know how much of something to add so you dont mess up and add too much.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

If you need to raise the pH, then you aerate the water to raise the pH.

With all due respect, since you had to ask the question of how to adjust the pH, I suggest you do not
perform the AA yourself until you understand just a bit better about the basics of how to maintain your pool water.

If you dont understand what you are doing, and you get the chemistry wrong, then you may be in world of a big mess.
Click on the Pool School button at the top of the page, and the ABC's of pool chemistry

First,
you need a test kit to measure the pH,
If you need to lower the pH, then you use muriatic acid to do that.
I recommend you make yourself familiar with Pool Math in order to know how much of something to add so you dont mess up and add too much.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

If you need to raise the pH, then you aerate the water to raise the pH.

With all due respect, since you had to ask the question of how to adjust the pH, I suggest you do not
perform the AA yourself until you understand just a bit better about the basics of how to maintain your pool water.

If you dont understand what you are doing, and you get the chemistry wrong, then you may be in world of a big mess.
Click on the Pool School button at the top of the page, and the ABC's of pool chemistry

Dave

Thanks for input, I just ordered the T100 test kit.

Although you recommended not to, I couldn't help myself and applied AA treatment on Saturday.

Stains disappeared in an hour, this is very similar to when I applied it last year.

However, because I was nervous about pool clouding up, which happened last year, I did not add the sequestering agent, Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff(which I have).

From my understanding, without adding Jack's Magic, the metal "particles" are now just kind of floating around after the AA treatment and can/will redeposit themselves at some time.

So my question is, if the pool looks great, really clear & blue, etc, why risk the possibility of cloudiness by adding the Jack's Magic.

I will receive test kit tomorrow and see what the readings of water are in order to really find out what's going on with water.

Your knowledge, guidance and input are all very much appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Dave

Thanks for input, I just ordered the T100 test kit.

Although you recommended not to, I couldn't help myself and applied AA treatment on Saturday.

Stains disappeared in an hour, this is very similar to when I applied it last year.

However, because I was nervous about pool clouding up, which happened last year, I did not add the sequestering agent, Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff(which I have).

From my understanding, without adding Jack's Magic, the metal "particles" are now just kind of floating around after the AA treatment and can/will redeposit themselves at some time.

So my question is, if the pool looks great, really clear & blue, etc, why risk the possibility of cloudiness by adding the Jack's Magic.

I will receive test kit tomorrow and see what the readings of water are in order to really find out what's going on with water.

Your knowledge, guidance and input are all very much appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Without the sequestrant, the metal will be back on the pool walls very shortly. The whole AA process is in vain without adding sequestrant.

Without the sequestrant, the metal will be back on the pool walls very shortly. The whole AA process is in vain without adding sequestrant.

OK, do I just make the presumption that the water will get cloudy after adding sequestrant.

Last year after adding sequestrant pool was cloudy for approximately 5 days.

I want to keep the pool usable for upcoming holiday weekend.

Thank you for you help.

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.