What Chlorine Tester Do You Use Daily?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
I've been going through the FAS/DPD test like crazy, trying to hold the pool at shock level until SLAM is complete. I have a CYA of about 40, which (in regular conditions) gives a recommended FC=5. Most of the quick & cheap chlorine testers (Tayor K1000) don't give real good resolution. I was reading in another post that people like to go 1-2 ppm over recommended at night so the FC holds through the next day. Does this leave the FAS/DPD test as the only daily option for measuring 6-7 ppm? Or do you just approximate how deep into the 5-10 range the reading is (is this even possible)? I'm new to the pool thing, so maybe there becomes a pattern to how much chlorine is lost per day.

Thanks

****On Edit****
I read too fast, if you are in a SLAM use the FAS/DPD for accuracy. My comments below are for normal maintenance.

Well, to be honest after using the FAS/DPD for a while you get a feel for your pools appetite for chlorine. I use the K1000 daily and "gusetimate" the color using Richard's chart:
On the OTO (yellow) chlorine test:

Blinding tweety-bird yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange.

Every three or four days I use the FAS/DPD.

Automation of the chlorine additions is a great step up.

After the SLAM has finished, start testing using both the FAS/DPD and K1000 at the same time and you will learn the shades of the K1000 and eventually you will be able to rely on the K1000 for daily testing and use the FAS/DPD once or twice a week to make sure of the reading. The pool will develop a pattern and so will you.

I use the FAS/DPD a few times per week minimum. Once you get good, really good with knowing your pool, you can pull off three times a week with that test quite easily. Some use the OTO most days. I never use it, and Tim got my reagent for it.

There are a couple of options, the Liquidator or a Stenner pump. I like the Stenner pump and they can both be researched by using the search function.

No, the auto chlorinator is for tabs only.

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize you could automate adding liquid chlorine. I have a Hayward auto chlorinator, but I figured it was only for tablets. Can I use this or is there another product for liquid?
Ping already answered the questions, but here is my Stenner Pump.

I prefer the Stenner over a SWG because buy just glancing at it I see that the chlorine level is going down and it is working. That's just me, most questions like this come down to personal preferences.

Once swim season is going full blast, you will get to know your pool really well. Odds are, by Fourth of July, you'll be able to predict the test readings with amazing accuracy before you even scoop up a sample. At the same time, you'll know pretty closely how much bleach you need to add every day. I think most of us get in the habit of just dumping in the usual amount daily and double check things a couple times a week. But that's only after it gets boring and routine. I find myself using the color match test most of the time. I know if the color is darker than the highest reading, I'm good. A weekly check with the FAS-DPD just serves to confirm it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.