Replace pool stairs during liner replacement?

bzbatl

Oct 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
We have having out vinyl pool liner replaced. At the same time, we are having parts of the slab around the pool removed and re-poured since there were some areas that were slowly sinking and mud-jacking only fixed the problem temporarily. So, right now we're already looking at an almost $7,000 expense. I am wondering whether we should replace the pool stairs at the same time. The pool was built in 1987. I don't know whether the stairs have ever been replaced or not. Our pool contractor says that the steps still look fine. They do have minor hair line cracks everywhere but nothing major. He said that in most cases the stairs cannot be replaced without replacing the liner and also re-pouring the slab around the stairs so I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to replace the stairs at the same time. This might add another $4,000 so it's a big additional cost but if we don't do it now we might have to wait 10 years until the next liner replacement time before we can do it. Is there a cheaper solution? For example, some kind of resurfacing? Or is it better to just get it all done at the same time?
thanks,

I don't have a great feel whether it's worth it/a good idea or not. If you wait until the next liner replacement they'd probably make it based on the current condition (but if they don't that's a drag). However, you are redoing concrete now so you will already have two "shades" of concrete, whereas if you replace it then, you'll have a third color and more cuts/mess/aggravation. Another way to look at it is if you think you will have to replace the steps at some point while you own the house. If so, and you think you'd only have to do it once, then if money is not the deciding factor, you might just do it now. But if you do them now, and in 30 more years they would need it again (if you think you'll be there) then you might want to wait to make sure the next set of steps last for your lifetime in the house.

Another thing I like to do when essentially replacing something (as opposed to adding something new) is to try and upgrade some aspect of it to make it feel like more than a like for like job. In this case, I expect there might be an option to change the color to something that looks more...better. I'm assuming they are white now. Grey blends really well with many of the liner choices available. And you may be able to update some other white pieces for a more uniform appearance.

Best of luck on the decision and project in total.

BTW - A few pics of the site would be great "payment" for the ideas! It's our favorite form of reimbursement.

I don't know. How can I tell? My pool guy who's been in business for 25-30 years says that the pool stairs are in a pretty good shape. I see plenty of superficial hairline cracks in it but nothing major. He said we could scrub it and repaint it to look newer.

I see color and shape options for steps now, latham/pacific brands now have steps that match the liner in several colors. I personally don't like the white steps so when our pool went in we went with liner covered steps in the pool. Seeing what is out there now might have changed that decision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.