Frog got sucked inside the skimmer

ramaka

May 13, 2015
MA
Hi Folks,
I am Avi and I am a first time home owner (with a pool) and hence have the below question:
The previous owner came over and showed me how to open the pool and everything was running just fine. This morning, I opened the skimmer to clean it up and saw a couple of frogs in it. I was able to remove one of the frog when I puled the basket out, but the other one got sucked inside the skimmer or the hole in the skimmer. Once this happened I see that the pressure of the water coming out of the ports for circulation (sorry don't know the technical term nor English my first language) is very less or decreased drastically. I am not sure how to get the frog out nor should I shut the motor off (it is running now). Could you please advice on what needs to be done to get the frog out(hopefully alive) and get the pool up and running as it was earlier? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Avi.

Welcome to TFP!

Well, in the future you'll want to turn the pump off before you pull the basket. They get in my pool too, and I have to chase them around the basket to get them out.

The good news is it isn't permanent.

You can keep the pump running as long as you have water in the strainer basket at the pump.

Fill us in on what kind of pool you have and we can probably advise better on how to sort it out.

I'm afraid it sounds like there is little hope for Mr. Frog...

First thing I would check is to see if the frog made it all the way to the pump basket or not. It may be lodged in there, reducing the ability of the pump to pull water in from the skimmer. Open the pump basket lid and take out the basket, see if the frog is stuck in the pipe coming into the pump or in the basket. If you don't find it there, you may need to try fishing a wire or closet snake down the skimmer hole to dislodge the poor fellow. Just be careful not to force anything down there, causing damage, and use something that you can retrieve without it breaking off in the plumbing. That would be... unfortunate to say the least.

Hi John and JVTrain:
Thanks for your time and reply. It is an in ground gunite pool 25000 gallons big. I checked the basket near the pump motor and there was nothing. I will try to fish it out and hopefully get the little one out.

Try opening the pump basket and wrapping a rag around a hose and put it in the pump opening to force water backward toward the skimmer ... hopefully frog (likely dead now) will pop out.

If it starts to become a regular thing, you could shop for one of the skimmer lids with an escape ramp.
$_57.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just could not convince myself spending $30+ bucks on the critter skimmer, hence went ahead and ordered the Skimmer angel. At least I won't be grossed out trying to get the bucket out and in turn letting the frogs back into the skimmer.:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.