New pump recommendation - need something quieter, more efficient

cdooer

May 12, 2015
Ottawa
Hello. Last year we had our 24' Radiant Metric pool installed by the only pool company in our area who is authorized to sell/install them. Overall it was a great experience, but on the support side of things these guys are awful. Anyway, it seems as though they installed the cheapest pump they could. It's a single speed Hayward SP5715W, and may be part of a kit Radiant sells the pool with.

A couple of problems with the pump;

1.) Its pretty loud.
2.) When I set it on an external timer, so that it comes on at certain times, I've come home from work to find the pump running empty. It seems as though it needs to be manually primed before coming on (?)...which throws the timer idea out the window.
3.) It's expensive to run. When we first had the pool installed, we ran the pump 24hrs a day, and it was adding over $100 per month to our electricity bill.

The pump is about 35' from the intake/return, and is slightly elevated compared to the skimmer (maybe 2' higher than the skimmer). Can you recommend a decent replacement pump, likely a two (or variable) speed that won't cost my first born, is energy efficient, and would be an easy swap out for me? I think the pool holds about 12,500 gallons of water, it's round and partially buried in the ground.

Thx.

If the pump is above the skimmer, you'll probably have to look into one for an in ground pool. I'll let someone else handle this.

Above ground pumps are not designed to operate above the water line. I would recommend an inground 3/4hp or 1hp two speed pump. You can filter on low and vacuum on high, use a timer and save quite a bit of money. Pentair and Hayward both make good options for you.

Above ground pumps are not designed to operate above the water line. I would recommend an inground 3/4hp or 1hp two speed pump. You can filter on low and vacuum on high, use a timer and save quite a bit of money. Pentair and Hayward both make good options for you.

I don't suppose you'd be able to suggest some model numbers, would you? It seems like each company makes a ton of different ones, I'm not really sure which ones I should be looking at. Another thread on the forum mentions the Hayward SuperPump 1 HP uprated SP2607X102S, but it only seems to be a single speed?

Thx Matt. I'm starting to wonder if this is something I should just tell the installer to handle. We paid a lot of money for the pool last year, you would think this would be something he should have known.

Typically the pool store will sell any combo as long as they make money on it. My guess is they won't work with you, they already have your money. Chances are you won't have to go back for much with TFPC. Might have to bite the bullet and just put the one they sold you in the garage as a backup, or sell it on craigslist to recoup some costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.