Pollen pollen pollen

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So we are in NJ are it is crazy pollen season right now. There is a film of pollen over the surface of the entire pool- can't really skim it it is too fine- plus a green/yellow line running all around the edge of the pool where the top of the water touches the tile.
Any tricks on cleaning this stuff? Maybe opening the pool later in the season next year...

The pollen does seem high this year. Or, because of the pool I notice it more.

Brush the waterline and if the skimmer doesn't get the stuff floating it will eventually sink and the vacuum will get it.

You really don't want a late opening. Dealing with a little pollen is a whole lot easier than finding a swamp when you pull back the cover. It's better to close late and open early. Algae growth is retarded by cold water - figure in the 50's and below so if you close with cold water and open with cold water your chances of a clean open are increased.

Skimmer socks or knee highs in your skimmer basket will help catch the finer stuff. Be careful though because they can clog fast and completely and stop water flow through the skimmer. And +1 on crazy pollen this spring. I'll go ahead and put it out there and jinx myself. I think we're almost finished down here, last several days have been better! :)

I wouldn't go more than 12 hours without checking the skimmer socks during peak pollen season. I just run the pump for longer periods and it all gathers in the skimmer or cartridges. Then I clean the cartridges after the heavy season is over and then I don't clean them again until fall. BTW - I see you have a mineral system. You may want to read up on them here. They basically have only negative attributes and no positive ones - i.e. a lose-lose scenario. They are not needed.

Congrats on the new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.