Intake problem?

May 12, 2015
Marlton, NJ
My wife and I decided to open the pool this year ourselves. We have only owned an inground pool for 2+ years and would still consider us novice level. The returns continue to show signs of problems. (inconsistent pressure and bubbles) We have an inground 22k gallon pool with a liner, 1 skimmer, and DE filtration system.
Steps taken.
1. Released air in filter several times.
2. Completely cleaned DE flter.
3. Garden hose in intake hole of pump to clear any possible debri stuck in impeller
4. Closed skimmer intake in skimmer box leaving the drain for intake. Nothing was reaching the pump. I suspect this is the problem. Thoughts on what I can do next to narrow down the problem?

Thanks
Jimmy

+1 what Jason said

or

When the filter is running:

Is the weir (door) being pulled into the skimmer body or is it standing straight up? It should lay down into the skimmer body when the pump is running. If not, gently push on it from the pool side to check for freedom of movement. It should move freely.

If the weir is ok, is there a vortex in the skimmer? If there is, the skimmer is sucking air into the filter. That usually means there is not enough water in the pool. Looking at the skimmer faceplate, some manufacturers emboss an arrow or some other sort of indicator line that shows the recommend water level. The pool should be at or above (within reason) that indicator line. If the water is below the line, add some water to the pool.

Well, if nothing is pulled from the floor, then why would that cause an air problem when the skimmer is open?

Maybe some pictures of your setup would help?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.