Pump basket water level drops, also threaded pump fittings slowly leaking

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
I have to issues that I am at my wits end with, please help me with suggestions....

1. I changed out sand, replaced multiport valve, got a new pump, and redid the pvc plumbing. The threaded fittings from the filter to the pump are slowing leaking, like a drop every minute. I hired someone in to seal those and he's been out 3 times and they still drip the same. The first time he re Teflon'd them, they leaked. The second time he did the same, still leaked. And the third he mixed up what looks like putty and slapped in on, it still leaks. It's a pain to unscrew the fittings because you have to cut the pvc to unthread. how can I stop these leaks?

2. I have air in my pump. Not just little champaign bubbles, it's like an inch below strainer lid. It's a brand new pump and I lubed the o ring when installing. It's a two speed, and after running on low for about an hour the water slowing drops in basket. On high there is water there is water spraying every which way in strainer basket on pump and I can't really tell how much water is in there but it's definitely low.

Can anyone help me? In the meantime I'm scared to leave my new pump on in fear I will damage it because of the air.

1. Put unions on the pipes so you can take them apart without having to cut them again. Try using about three turns of tape and a little bit of pipe dope on top of that. I've only ever had one pipe that I had to do that to on a shower valve, but it worked. That will make it easier to thread the fitting in so make sure you don't over tighten it because you could crack the plastic housing if you over do it.
2. Try running water over the threaded inlet to the pump and any other fittings on the suction side to see if the air goes away. That will let you know which one is leaking air into the pump. Definitely don't want the pump to run dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just talked to pool guy who has been working on leaks, he said he's not sure what else he can do to stop leaks? They aren't any better than when we started! He also said its normal to have air in pump strainer basket and won't hurt to run with a little air. Maybe I need a new pool guy, this is why I do things myself....

On a more positive note... I turned pump on high this morning and there are minimal bubbles, like champagne bubbles in pump basket. So I'm going to leave it for now, atleast so I can vacuum. I couldn't get strainer lid off this morning, it's like there is a ton of pressure on it. So I let it be. Usually if there is air I can slowly unscrew it and let the water rise.

I will definitely run water over to see is bubbles go away. Thank you! I will keep you all posted and others feel free to chime in, the pool guy is supposed to stop by tomorrow and see "if there is anything else he can do"

I had some issues with threaded pipe leaking and here is what I did. I removed the pipe, and took a wire brush, and cleaned out the threads, not by moving it in and out, but around to clean out any debris. Then. I took some teflon tape, and did one overlapping wraps. I then got some Permatex #2 (auto store), and put on a thick layer at the beginning of the threads on the male end. I tightened finger tight (not hand, but finger tight), then used a pair of channel locks to go no more than 2 full turns (I went 1.5 turns). Being tight does not always mean it is going to seal. After i did my 1.5 turns, I tried to move it with my hand, and I did maybe a .25 turn, so it is not super tight, but it's water tight.

I have not had any leaks since. Just remember if you over tighten, especially with tape, you can crack threads. The tape makes the tapered threads thicker, as you screw, they get tighter and tighter and then crack. You may have a small crack somewhere. Epoxy might seal it up, but that is a permanent solution, and will never come out.

The pump will always have a little air in it. Mine usually has a bubble the size of a half dollar. It's when it keeps getting more and finally causes the pump to lose prime that you run into problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pump ran on high speed all day, so I atleast got chemicals in and got to vacuum. Still just champagne bubbles on high, but I can hear the water flow air noise it seems close to the multiport valve. I don't remember hearing the water flow before I switched the valve/pump/sand out. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I just don't want to ruin a new pump!

I still have two minor leaks, but I'm going to wait on pool guy tomorrow and see what he says, I will prob just end up fixing it myself. If he doesn't, I will definitely take apart and install removable unions and try the tape and permatex. Thanks guys! I'm just ready to get it all set so I can kick back and enjoy a cold one!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.