Either I found the holy grail of bleach, or my pool shrank.

n240sxguy

May 17, 2014
Benton, KY
Ok, I've been running on bleach since the end of last year when my crappy swg died. I've been reading about chemical pool volume calculation and such because I never was sure just how big my pool was. It's a 20x40 Grecian with an 8.5' deep end and around 3.5' shallow end. I've figured that at around 32-33k I think. When I added cya last year based on that volume it seemed to come up just where I thought it was going to. Anyway. While on bleach I've never been the measuring cup kind of guy. I add a gallon before it gets to the minimum FC for my cya level. Be that one day or 2-3 because it's cloudy and cold. Yesterday I decided I was gonna test before and after the bleach addition to see if the 10% I got from rural king was any good. I turned the pump on, waited half an hour, tested FC at 3; which is what I thought it would be based on being 5 the evening before. Normally I would've just added when it was 5, but it was late and I had other things going on. Anyway, I added a gallon of the 10%, waited half an hour, and tested again at 8.5fc. I took the water samples from the same spot, in the same manner from elbow deep, tested in the same location, and I use a little disposable pipette to make sure I'm as close to 10ml as possible. According to poolmath, to go up 5.5ppm FC with a gallon of 10% bleach, my pool should be closer to 18k gallons. It's bigger than that, so is this bleach just that strong? Also, last year when the swg was working and I was having to add acid every 7-10 days, the volume of acid needed to move the ph matched what poolmath said for a 33k gallon pool. Any thoughts?

Two summers ago I got a bottle of 12.5% that had to be at least double strength. It even looked darker. Same deal - I knew from experience what the FC should be reading and I was way over. When that jug was gone, things went back to normal, which is how I determined it was the jug of bleach. I haven;t gotten that lucky since.

Interesting for sure. If that's the case, I wish we could all be so lucky. If you could use it at a pretty good clip and go get some more fresh like that it wouldn't be a bad thing. :goodjob:

Let us know what happens again. I'm sure interested to see.

Well here's this evenings update. I tested the water when I got home and got 4.5fc. Added a gallon and waited 45 minutes. Second test I got 10.5fc. It was super faint so maybe between 10 and 10.5. Either way, a gallon of this stuff is adding 5.5-6 ppm FC. That's some potent stuff. The last case I got had 09815 as the start of the batch number. This case had 12515 at the start. If that's when it was produced, it's only 9 days old today. Only 4-5 days old when I got it. That seems a little unlikely, but plausible. Anyway, it is what it is, and my swg ships out tomorrow so I'll be letting the mystery go. Being able to chlorinate for $1 a day makes one question the cost of an swg. Can't beat the convenience though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that. My T-15 cell lasted over 7 years at a replacement cost of $398 or less than $57 per year. And that's in a 19 k pool open year-round with 100 degree plus summers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.