Auto vacs - Kreepy Krawly, Aquabug, Diver Dave, etc.

Aug 6, 2008
Now that it's the end of the season, I'm scrounging eBay a little looking for some equipment..

One thing I'd like is a suction powered auto-vac. There are a few different ones that seem to be reasonably priced. Are they all fairly equal? My pool is obviously pretty small, so I don't need a mega-cleaner or anything. (However, it looks like any of them will require a pump upgrade..)

See my pool specs below..

I used a Hayward for 5 years. I leave mine in the pool 24x7 all year (we don't close them). OK I take it out when swimming, but other than that it is in, running when the pump runs. Now I have a "thepoolcleaner" 4 wheeler.

Hayward cleaned really good, and was very thorough. I had to replace the wings every year ($15.00) and the shoes twice ($8.00 each time) in the 5 years I used it. Then it started slowing down. Was going to take more in parts to fix it than it was worth, and close to what a new one cost. The dealer looked at it and wanted more to fix it than I could uy it online for. Other than sticks, acorns and medium to large leaves, it did a excellent job.

My current "thepoolcleaner" was cheaper to buy (I got a new one for $200 on clearance). It does a pretty good job, not quite as good as the Hayward (takes longer to cover the whole pool), but still not too bad. It handles acorns, small twigs and medium leaves with no problems. I had to replace all 4 tires after a year and half, and best price was $60.00 for the set. Not real happy about that. It also does not climb the walls as good as the Hayward, but climbs them far enough (up the curve, just the vertical) so since you should brush every so often anyway, does not seem to be an issue. Also this seems to operate on less suction than the Hayward required. Not vast amounts of difference, but a difference non the less.

I've been happy with both of them, they pretty much stay in the pool and just do their job.
I also have a dedicated suction port so they do not take over the skimmer either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.