Cartridge Filter question

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Thinking of getting a 15' x 52" above ground pool that holds approx. 5,200 gallons.

My question is can I get away with a 50 sq ft, 1HP cartridge filter and pump?

2nd question is, if I clean the cartridge weekly is it reasonable to assume I could get an entire summer out of 1 cartridge? especially if I use one of these http://www.intheswim.com/p/water-wand-cartridge-cleaner?pcode=104&scode=I9TKSHOP&e8=A1920

I've read that cartridge is easier than sand and it filters smaller microns.

Thanks

Nothing is easier than sand. It is true that carts filter finer however. I would ask, how much more clear than Crystal do you want the water to be? A SF will get you crystal clear water, it just takes a little longer.

I've read and heard that cartridge is easier since there is no weekly backwashing.

Do you think a 50 sq ft 1hp would be enough for a 5,200 gallon pool? And do people use them for a full summer without replacing them as long as they get cleaned regularly?

Yes, I think it would be. Easier than backwashing, no such thing really. You have to remove and clean Cart filters at some point. That isn't easier than backwashing. Depending on how dirty the pool gets, it may be more often than you like. Again, depending on how often you wash, and care for it depends on how long it lasts.

Are you just upgrading to a new filter?

In the cartridge filter vs sand filter debate for Intex pools the sand filter wins hands down. Pretty much every comment I have seen regarding Intex filters is pro-sand and anti-cartridge. There are lots and lots of threads here discussing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.