Wemo for pool light?

Jun 5, 2014
Wading River, NY
I've found a few old threads about using timer switches for pool lights, but I'd like to take it a step further and replace my existing switch with a WeMo switch. My filter (and the pool light switch) are in a dark corner of the yard that no one but me likes to walk over to at night, so I'm trying to make it easy to automate the light and turn it on without walking across the yard.

I already have another WeMo switch controlling the lights for my pool bar, which is about the same distance from the house, and it works flawlessly. My question is if anyone has already tried this. I'm thinking the metal housing for the pool light switch may interfere with the wifi signal. I have already seen that metal face plates will severely limit the Wemo's range, so I planned to replace the metal cover with one of these.

Though they work, those outdoor covers are less than ideal. I use them for my cattle tank heaters, and my outlets usually only last 3 or 4 years in them. The equipment is still exposed to moisture in the form of condensation.

Is there anywhere else you can install the WeMo switch in the circuit? Close to the breaker box? You could leave your mechanical switch in place and put the WeMo in series with it. That would make the old switch a winterizing/service shutoff.

I think this whole idea is really cool. If I get my POS light fixed I will so do this. Leave the switch on outside, and install a wemo by the breaker box. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.