Life can be for the birds

haze

May 13, 2007
New Jersey
Not pool related but humorous.

Saturday morning I saw a Pigeon walking in my driveway. I noticed it had a Band on its leg and realized it was a racing pigeon.
I manage to get the ID off the Band and after some googling tracked down the owner. He's lives about 50 miles from me but he wasn't inclined to come get the bird, he wanted me to bring it to him.
I decided since I was going up the NJ turnpike to do a job, and would pass within 5 miles (as the pigeon flies but many more when you have to negotiate NJ small town traffic) from the owners town, I would release the bird as close as possible and let him fly home. I did just that this morning, pulled off the road, opened the box and watched the bird take off. It circled twice and then headed in the right direction. I proudly felt I had done my good deed and continued to my work.

I got home a little while ago and guess who was sittng on the porch and jumped up and started walking toward my truck as I pulled into the driveway?

I think its the other way around - the phone call only proved WHY the bird did not want to go back. Birds are smarter than people give them credit for - how many other pets do you know of that can say "I love you" right back or eat with a spoon, then ask for more of a particular food by name? (OK, I'm a bit biased - I am owned by 4 parrots)

Wife gave the pigeon to a coworker who took it home and was supposed to keep it a few days, he let it out of the cage after a few hours and it was walking around his yard. It hung around for a while but then took off.

My new friend was waiting at the front door this morning, with a rather angry look on his face. He did however accept my offer of crushed cornflakes as an apology, then pooped on the steps and walked away.

It's like having a relative, who won't take a hint. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pigeon is still here, I tried a couple more releases but he keeps coming back.

His behavior has changed a little however, now in the morning he is waiting on the porch for food, eats and then is gone all day, but returns each night to eat and sleep.

I think he's become a college student !! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.