constant return leaks

May 23, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hi all, about 18months ago I had a return pipe leak fixed to the tune of around $500. Now after having a pressure test performed today, I am facing the same thing on the same return line but am being told that although only 1 leak can be detected at a time, more are suspected and expected on my older pool thus resulting in more expenses, so over $1000 and no assurance of proper function. Skimmer line tests fine (for now). Having the Pool company redo my RETURN lines only are quoting about $3000 but this would be going around the outside of the pool in the grass beyond the 3' deck, not the inside where the lines are now. I agree as the deck concrete extends on the inside of the "LAZY L" to the house with widths from 8ft to 20ft in some places and would look horrible and I just don't have that budget available now.

I am contemplating re-piping myself around the outside of the pool, digging a trench and possibly having the returns come out of the ground and return ABOVE the 3ft deck till maybe next year when I will have time and funds to break up the deck and properly connect my new pipe to the proper return outlets.

I'm just trying to figure out how to save $$ but does this make sense to anyone?

1) It would allow me to "TAP" off to supply water to a slide that now has none.
2) I've been reading TFP all day on pipe choices and am totally confused
3) I've read here that equal return line lengths are desirable but I have a return at about 20' from the pad and the other 80' from the pad. what do I do?
4) I'd be going with 2" pipe as that seems to be what's being used in most upgraded piping at the pad now although the skimmer would still have the original 1.5". is that OK, it's a big pool?

I'm sure I'll have more questions going forward but this is what comes to mind today as I face the constantly rising expenses on the same day I decided to buy a new Pentair Supermax VS pump.

Thanks to all that can help...or comfort. haha

G

Last edited:
You can do that, returning the water above the pool, but it will cause aeration which will drive the pH up and cool the water.

1) That is fine
2) 2" is a safe choice, if you have multiple return lines, 1.5" is likely plenty.
3) If you can run a loop around the pool, that would equalize things ... or just run them separately to the pad and use a 3-way valve to balance the flow.
4) Usually you want the suction lines to be larger than the return lines. If you only have a single 1.5" suction line, then I would use 1.5" on the return lines, especially if you run to each separately.

Just wanted to say hello.
appreciated, thanks. right back at you.

You can do that, returning the water above the pool, but it will cause aeration which will drive the pH up and cool the water.

Thanks I didn't know that, so on one return I'll pass the pipe in the cavity under the diving board and right into the pool.

1) great

2), 3) & 4) Ok, so it sounds like I will go with separate 1.5" lines and a 3 way valve.

At what depth would you recommend trenching?
Would you recommend I add a third return while I'm at it?

G

I should upgrade my profile, I recently found out that the Company that made the pool have been out of business for about 37yrs. so mine is closer to 40yrs. old.

Yes, the first leak was very obvious as it was a broken at an elbow where a return turns downwards and was shooting little stones to the back of the metal walls, we could here them from across the yard. When they pulled the part it had a 1.5"-2" crack along the elbow fitting. The PB company are saying this leak is 25ft. away from the first but are sure there's more.

The first thing I did to the pool was convert to an SWG, not sure if that may have contributed to the leak.

The whole landscaping started dipping in towards the house and I've been repairing the reverse grade slowly since I moved in 4 yrs ago. The earth and grass have been easy but the concrete has been slowly following the trend since the house was not regularly lived in for 11yrs before me and a lot of maintenance was overlooked by the previous owners. I had a section of concrete lifted and levelled last year about 12ft. from this leak. Could it have contributed, sure, but not to the first leak so I'm kinda leaning towards the aging/sloping deck reasoning

Thanks

Not sure about depth, up there I would assume you normally bury things further to get below frost line, but if you blow out the lines, that may not matter.

Adding a return would not really hurt anything, and could help with circulation in the big pool.

Thanks, I would guess that the original lines are buried quite deep as I've seen a return repair and the pipe takes a 90 degree downturn between 6-12 inches behind the wall.

I do have all lines blown in the fall and may have to take special care from now forward as the only trenchers I've found in my area for rent are 12" models. I'm scouring the city for deeper. Even tough lines are fully blown, would ground freezing actually damage the pipe?

G

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.