Liquid chlorine vs the puck

Before I found this forum and went cold turkey on the trichlor, Leslie's sold me 20 lbs worth of the 3" pucks for $56, which I calculate (using the Pool Calculator) to work out to 38 cents per ppm FC increase for my pool.

Following a tip from waterbear I've been getting 2.5 gallon carboys of 10% at a local Mom and Pop pool store for $3.19, which comes to 20 cents per ppm FC increase.

So, assuming I've done the calculations correctly, for my location the liquid chlorine is about half as expensive.

Generally, bleach will be cheaper......but the important thing to remember is to learn and understand when to use it....or perhaps even when to use pucks (seldom).

By far, the cheapest method is understanding the chemistry in your pool and knowing how to adjust it so you never have to spend a lot of money on anything.

I did a cost comparison of chlorine sources here where the cost per FC is usually lower for Trichlor IF you don't account for the required pH adjustment (since Trichlor is so acidic). When accounting for that, bleach is usually least expensive while chlorinating liquid and Cal-Hypo are close.

Richard

You have to shop around. See other posts on this forum that talk about bleach prices.

In my area, the chlorinating liquid from my pool store isn't that much more expensive per FC than the bleach. The 12.5% chlorinating liquid is now around $3.65 per gallon which translates to $1.35 for a 96-ounce jug of bleach. Though some people are able to get bleach for around $1, I haven't seen that, but I'm not a member at Costco, for example. Aldi's has bleach for $1.09 as shown here. I also like using the chlorinating liquid because it's less to carry and the pool store reuses the containers (so even better than recycling).

Richard

I did some calcs last year when I started using BBB. They actually came out close to the same (using 6% Walmart Bleach). If just looking at the bleach it was less expensive, but I used more Muriatic Acid to control the PH. But the advantage to using liquid is that you have better control over your CYA, which makes it easier to keep your pool balanced.

I still use pucks in my feeder every now and then when I won't be able to check or add bleach to the pool for a few days. But I'm pretty much using bleach about 99% of the time (I used about half a small bucket of pucks since May).

If one is trying to buy cheap chemicals you might wish to find a chemical supply house. Look under "Chemicals" in your yellow pages.

The supply houses usually supply chemicals to labs, hospitals, the metal industry, hotels, etc.

Where I live 15 lbs of Calcium from the pool store costs $32!!!! That's Hawaii for you. From the local chemical supply house it costs $24 for 50 lbs. Most of them carry Muriatic Acid (4 in a case), 22% cheaper than a building supply store, and 45% cheaper than the pool store, and they also carry Cyanuric Acid. but not Borax.

I did not ask about chlorine but I believe they might also carry it, as they supply hotels.

Usually there is a minimum $ amount, in our case $50.

Hope this helps.

Aloha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.