Baja step depth?

Mine is 6, 9 or 12 would be better. A chaise in 6" of water might as well be on the pool deck. We sit on the edge of the shelf some and it would be better with more water. I think it would be better for the dogs too. Unless you have little mutts.

Eh? No, they can't stand up, in 3-1/2' of water. :) They like to hang out on the sunshelf. It seems like it would be better for them if the water was a little deeper.

We went with 6" (water depth) our dogs are little and anything more than 6" would be too deep. I also wanted to be able to sit in a lounge chair without getting soaked - I work from home and can work from there - or just take short breaks and chill - then come back in and finish the day. I really wanted a deeper one - but for those 2 reasons we went with 6" My pool is still being built - so I will have to tell you how it works later!

Thanks, your pool spec look very similar to what I am designing. I am looking at 30-32 x 16-18 free form at 4' -5- 4' and a raised 7-8ft spa. with spill over. Getting freaked out by soil testing issues at this point. Have not signed a contract as we are still in the early stages.

This is what we are thinking, sorry about the basic drawing.
IMG_3924.JPG

What's your design like?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, your pool spec look very similar to what I am designing. I am looking at 30-32 x 16-18 free form at 4' -5- 4' and a raised 7-8ft spa. with spill over. Getting freaked out by soil testing issues at this point. Have not signed a contract as we are still in the early stages.

This is what we are thinking, sorry about the basic drawing.
View attachment 36401

What's your design like?

That looks very simialr to the pool we just put in (top drawing). except we have a shallow end and a deep end. we have about a 10" baja deck. could probably be 12" and be just fine.
2014-12-19 16.38.19.jpg

I vote for the first or top drawing. The pool we're building now is more like the bottom drawing regarding the spa. When I first stepped down into the pool after gunite, I could tell I didn't like how the spa blocked the view of the water on the other side of the spa unless I moved more to the center. You have a better view of the whole pull with the spa bumped out in the first drawing! Oh boy! You're in for a lot of fun!! Take care. Suz.

My shelf is top stair depth, think that is like 5 or 6 inches. I partially disagree with the answer someone gave above that a chaise lounge out of water might as well be on the deck. We have beach chairs, the kind with very short legs. This allows people to sit in the chair, keep their butts dry, but have their legs in the water. It is a very nice setup. Not to say the 12 inches is bad, I'm just saying that I like what I have.

we use the tommy bahama chairs on the deck and they work great. i think my spa is 7ft or 8ft but i forget. can easily seat like 6/7 adults comfortably. the pool is basically 30ftx16ft. kinda forgot to be honest and im out of town right now or i would measure for you. same sort of thing though, elevated spa and the stair and pool shape is extremely similar to your design.
2015-03-26 20.29.03.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.