Dolphin vs iRobot Mirra

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
I am looking into getting an auto pool cleaner. I am looking into the Dolphin models and the iRobot Mirra. I'm not sure which Dolphin model would be comparable to the iRobot, so maybe someone could help me there. Any thoughts on going with a Dolphin or the iRobot? I have a friend who has the iRobot and loves it. Our pool is in ground, vinyl liner, and 18,000 gallons. Any help or advice would be great.

Hi,
Actually, Ive never heard of the iRobot so I'm afraid I cannot give you any advice on that unit.

I along with many others here do have Dolphins though, and I can say I really couldn't be happier with my Dolphin Nautilus. It's at the bottom of the price range for Dolphins, but it does an excellent job of cleaning my IG vinyl pool.

Does the M5 / M500 clean stairs and have a microchip to understand where it has already cleaned? Also, do you know if there are bags to catch everything or is it a plastic reusable filter? How does it do with not getting tangled in the power cord? Any more details you could provide on it and why you like it would be great!

Also, our deep end pool walls have a small ledge that is angled at about 30 degrees. This creates a ledge half way up to stand on. Will the M5 / M500 do well on these walls?

Does the M5 / M500 clean stairs and have a microchip to understand where it has already cleaned? Also, do you know if there are bags to catch everything or is it a plastic reusable filter? How does it do with not getting tangled in the power cord? Any more details you could provide on it and why you like it would be great!

Also, our deep end pool walls have a small ledge that is angled at about 30 degrees. This creates a ledge half way up to stand on. Will the M5 / M500 do well on these walls?
The M series (M4/M5) use cartridge filters with no option for a bag as the filters are internal to the robot body when in use. I actually purchased tw additional filter sets so that when I pull it out of the water I can just swap the cartridges and toss him back in the water. I actually have a spare set of skimmer baskets and do the same thing with them. My cleaning routine is to jsut go grab the baskets and filters and clean them all out at the same time rather than walking back and forth several times.

Here is an overview of the unit.

I leave mine in the pool almost all the time. Each morning I just hit the button and let it run through a 3 hour cleaning cycle. I'm not sure if it really understands where it has cleaned, but I think so. It seems to learn more about the pool as time goes on. We have a swim put seat and wedding cake steps and it now is able to get up on to both. But, just because of the size of the unit the cleaning of these areas is not the best and I end up brushing them every few days anyway.

People complain about the cord and maybe I'm lucky, but most to the time I find that there is no problem with it tangling.

I'm not sure about your ledge, but as time goes on he seems to be trying to get everywhere in the pool.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have the Dolphin M4? My local pool store caries this model and recommends it. It costs $1220 from them. They said if I bought it from them they can order replacement parts for it easily. Do you think I can find this cheaper from somewhere else or is this a pretty good price? When looking on Amazon.com for the M4 I can't seem to find it.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have the Dolphin M4? My local pool store caries this model and recommends it. It costs $1220 from them. They said if I bought it from them they can order replacement parts for it easily. Do you think I can find this cheaper from somewhere else or is this a pretty good price? When looking on Amazon.com for the M4 I can't seem to find it.
This is where you get into Maytronics marketing. They produce specific units for different markets, pool stores, web, ect. Technically a web ordered M4/M5 looses it warranty but it seems a couple of internet sellers have found a way around this limitation. The actual web version of the M5 is the Z5. There are some slight differences, but I'm not sure of what they are.

Here is a thread regarding the two.

Looks like Epic Pool Supply has the Z5 for $1,199 out the door - no tax/no shipping

As far as parts, Marina Pool & Spa out of Denver has great prices and excellent support. I got my extra filters from them for less than retail, which is what most local pool stores want to charge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1220 sounds about right from a pool store. this link has it at 1150.00.
http://www.tcpoolequipment.com/pool...e-M400-Robotic-Cleaner-99991043-US-p13268.htm

Not many M4's left. they are hard to find these days. Maytronics has phased them out and replacing/ or renaming it the Supreme M400. I dont know if there is any difference between M4 and M400. Might be, but I suspect it would be very slight. The M400 is still not fully distributed yet, and I have actually not found one of those online with pricing either, so dont know what the price of one is.

Thanks everyone.

the Irobot is a rebrand of another cleaner, Irobot does not make cleaners. You pay more to buy the brand. The M4 is not a good deal, it will never be a good deal because it is sold through pool stores with markup. The Z5 is cheaper and a better robot.

the Irobot is a rebrand of another cleaner, Irobot does not make cleaners. You pay more to buy the brand. The M4 is not a good deal, it will never be a good deal because it is sold through pool stores with markup. The Z5 is cheaper and a better robot.

Do you have a reference to support this about irobot? Even if that's the case, check out the reviews on irobot's website, they even have horrible reviews there! I'd stick with a dolphin if I were in the market, they seem to have consistent stellar reviews.

Sorry this response is a little late for the thread but I had the iRobot Mirra for a little over two years and although it does a great job it has had two service issues. First issue was just after the one year warranty expired and I had to sent it off for service. Luckily I had purchased it with a Visa Signature card and I had an extended warranty from my credit card. Turnaround time for service was about three weeks and I did have to pay for shipping to the service center which was about 50.00. Last night it just completely died again and now I'm out of extended warranty and going to buy the Dolphin M500 from a local store today.

The iRobot is actually a Aquabot Rapids or Breeze 4WD. One of those models that is branded Aquabot is retail only and the other is online only but I do believe the Aquabot-branded ones have a two year warranty. We paid full retail for the iRobot and paid full price for the caddy and if we would have bought the Aquabot-branded device it would have been several hundred dollars cheaper.

I can't give you an opinion on the Dolphin because I'm going to pick one up today but I do know they're easier to service, they have a three year bumper-to-bumper warranty, they currently have a rebate, and the fact that I'm not even considering any Aquabot product should give you an idea of my opinion on spending that kind of money for that device.

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.