Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: eyeball end piece unscrewed from main fitting.. help!

1. Back To Top    #1

eyeball end piece unscrewed from main fitting.. help!

So I was unscrewing the eyeball fitting from one of the returns and jsut the very end piece unscrewed! The remaining part that is screwed into the return is broken... Is there a way to get this thing off so I can put a stopper in there? I am trying to think of a way to somehow chip it away without damaging the screw threads underneath. Dang it ! I was almost going to have a trouble free closing.
    Tom M Tate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: eyeball end piece unscrewed from main fitting.. help!

There is an eyeball removal tool you can get at the pool store for a few dollars (around $5). It's a handy tool to have. It fits into the two slots on the inside of the fitting so you can unscrew it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

The part Waterbear is talking about is a Hayward SP 1419 T (some pool stores have never heard of them but if you give them the part # they can order one for you)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

It is very easy to make your own eyeball removal tool, just get a piece of 2X4, about 12 inches long, screw in 2 small bolts at the same distance as the 2 slots on the ring that retains the eyeball. I am sure you get the idea.
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips! I found a pair of electricians pliers used for cutting various sized wire that worked like a charm! After all of that heaving and straining... I put those in the groves and with slight effort the thing unscrewed! Brilliant! thanks again
    Tom M Tate