Air bubbles strainer basket

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
I checked the basket its tight, but could it be this coupling? if so how do i take this off, it seems like its glued on, I can't figure a way to undo this coupling? Is it even possible? Attaching a picture..

Attachments

• AirLeak1.jpg
    AirLeak1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 66
As long as the water level in the strainer is above the inlet to the pump a little air in the strainer is not a problem and will not affect the pump or the pumping rate. I would not let it bother me unless there is so much air that it gets in the pump suction - then you would have a problem.

I checked the basket its tight, but could it be this coupling? if so how do i take this off, it seems like its glued on, I can't figure a way to undo this coupling? Is it even possible? Attaching a picture..
You would have to cut the pipe and unthread the coupling. But there are several things to check first. I would remove the pump lid, taking the opportunity to clean the basket, and replace the lid making sure to use o-ring lube. You may also have the ability to purge air from your system at the filter, which you should try also. There are some ways to check the pipes in your system for leaks, just search the forum for ideas on how to do that.

so it doesn't really matter if I have a few air bubbles in the strainer basket and some air bubbles coming out of my return jet as well?

Sorry it took so long to answer, but no a few air bubbles in the strainer basket and some coming out of the returns is not going to hurt any thing. You might replace the gasket (and the lid itself if it looks bad) under the strainer basket lid and make sure to clean the lid on the top and the basket holder and use gasket lube on the new gasket. A dirty, dried out, or worn out gasket will give you leaks. But if a new lid and gasket does not stop the leaks I would not worry about it.

Most likely any air leaks are coming from the drain plugs or the pump basket lid gasket. Even a hairline crack in the gasket or a blade of dried grass stuck under it can do it.

You can check the plumbing by covering suspicious areas with shaving cream. If the bubbles go away, or you start seeing foam in the basket, or you see the cream being sucked in somewhere, you're on the way to finding it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.