Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Pics From my PA Backyard

1. Back To Top    #1

A Few Pics From my PA Backyard

Here are a few pics from my pool area , still not complete but , we're getting there ...

This is before decks and landscaping 1/07

This is now 9/08

23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A Few Pics From my PA Backyard

Very nice.

Love the tropical feel you have.
    14100 gallon IG Gunite Pool
    Sapphire Smoke Quartz Plaster
    Pentair SunTouch Controller, Intelliflo 4x160 Pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor SWG System
    Legend Platinum Cleaner with booster pump
    My Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

Very nice! The before photo must've been in winter or something, because it looks like you planted a hundred trees for the after photos!!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow...has PAS (as my hub calls him), P. Allen Smith, been to your house?
    Loverly.....
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

nice! very quick landscaping I have to say..it looks mature already. gj

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice!

I really like the cabana! 8)
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

WOW! Love the cabana and the tropical look!
    Artificial Palm Trees and NEW Palm Tree MAILBOX- http://www.xtremelytropical.com -- Get your mail delivered in the "tropics" and create your own backyard tropical oasis with your own artificial palm trees!

8. Back To Top    #8

wow, PA. I am pretty sure i saw this pool in Key West. I love it Im in MD. I may be coping you this year.

9. Back To Top    #9

Are those real? How do they survive in your climate?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, living in West Texas (or as my New York transplanted wife would say, God forsaken west Teaxas)all I can say is.......OHHHHHHHH to have trees . Very nice
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Beautiful!!! What kind of plants are those with the large leaves? Still looking for more Stuff to add to our pool area. Since I am in WV, our climate should be similar. Always looking for new ideas...
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all the compliments . The plants with the large leaves are musa basjoo (hardy fiber banana) . It is very hardy but , I also mulch it heavily in the fall and this year placed some bags of leaves around the base of the plant to help insulate the corm (root mass).It is some extra work but, I really like the look so the extra work doesn't bother to me.
    23,000 gallon vinyl in ground / Hayward Superpump / Hayward sand filter / Liquidator / Borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for letting me know. I was wondering if they were elephant ears. Our pool landscaping is still very much a work in progress! I love the look of your pool area and may have to steal some inspiration.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Some of the other large leaf plants are elephant ears and some are cannas . I don't want to mislead you into thinking they were all musa basjoo , I just assumed because they are the tallest with the biggest leaves . Do you know what usda zone you are in ? I may be able to give you some more ideas for tropical style plants that can take some cold weather and come back the next year . Good luck with your landscaping ...

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks tiki! The tallest ones actually were the ones that cought my eye, but I had no idea what they were. I am a zone 6 here . Did you get your plants online? Was there any concern about the root system of such a large plant being close to the pool? My hubby also loved your photos and we could use all the help we can get! I have bought a few elephant ear bulbs, and already have several daylilies. I was also thinking about hardy hibiscus. Any thoughts? Your time is much appreciated. Thanks again!
    WV Girl

16. Back To Top    #16

Great landscaping! Can't believe how tropical you have made PA seem and feel. I am in lower NY state. I have no landscaping ideas, or imagination for that matter, so any help is appreciated. Even if we do a little at a time, but I love those big plants for privacy, which is first on the landscaping agenda. Can you recommend any more tropical-like plants for our area? Like prior post ?, did you buy them locally to you or online?
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

17. Back To Top    #17

Very nice. Love the landscaping and didn't know that those tropical plants could survive in PA. You did a great job.

18. Back To Top    #18

I recommend reading "Palms Don't Grow Here And Other Myth's" and "Hot Plants For Cool Climates" if you want to get the tropical look in decidedly non tropical locales . Many of the plants can be bought online or on ebay . Also some plants can be gotten at local nurseries in the indoor plant section .
    There are several forums like this one devoted to tropical plant growing in non tropical regions . A lot of good information from experienced gardeners on those forums .

http://www.bananas.org/index.php
    http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/
    http://members3.boardhost.com/joe02917/
    http://members3.boardhost.com/MIDWESTPALMS/
    http://members5.boardhost.com/tripleoaks/
    http://members7.boardhost.com/PennHardyPalms/

Hope this helps ...

19. Back To Top    #19

Awesome job! Thanks for the links. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Amazing! We put in above ground pool last fall and I so would like to ad that tropical feel... thanks for the inspiration. Will be looking to find some nice size pots for some of those large plants to put on my deck. I had already bought some elephant ears, but will be looking for the banana and cannas.

Love the cabana too! Nice touch... it pulls the look of the plants together so well, gonna have to brainstorm that one. How did you do the roof? Looks like a relatively easy project otherwise... gonna have to show it to my hubby
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast