Need some help and advice

May 12, 2015
brooklyn, ny
Hi all, I have a semi-sunk above ground pool which has a deck built around it. It is 54" with about 2-2 1/2 feet below ground. When the installer put it in for me, he failed to backfill to hole in the ground and just put up the deck around everything. I regret not holding him accountable as that was part of the deal. I put some bags of sand around the base of the pool in the hole, not much (and not nearly enough apprarently). So, thats the back story, fast forward two years from the pool install....
I recently opened the pool, in the process a hose came off when I wasnt around and it emptied a substantial amount of water (into the hole). The rush of the water under the openingactually created a bit of a channel going beneath the pool. When I go under the deck and into the hole I can actually see the bottom of the pool liner, and can put my hand under there and feel the liner (with no ground underneath it supporting it). I feel like this is a catastrophe waiting to happen now and need some advice. What I am planning to do is buy several 50lb bags of sand and go under there and do my best to channel that sand under the pool. I dont know what else I can do and as I write this I cant imaging anyone having any other idea on what I can do.....I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that what I am going to do is the best thing I can do, and, that this isnt an unsafe situation.

Thanks for your help and your time,
Jeff

What I would do first is run a sump pump to that outside hole around the pool and get rid of all that water before you even think about draining your pool to fix this! If you don't, and there is water in that hole, you'll collapse the pool inward from all that water.

You're never going to get sand under the pool with water in it. Drain outside, then drain pool and fix the sand base, then install liner. As far as fill in goes, pull your deck boards and add fill if you absolutely want to do that.

No one here can say without a doubt that if left alone, would or could it cause a catastrophe. Don't take The chance. Fix it.

Thanks Casey. Just to clarify there is no standing water in the hole around the pool, it actually drains very well. The channel going under the pool is about the size of my fist. I am leaning towards doing what you say, but drainng the pool in its entirety and then the labor cost to remove and reset the liner is making me hesitant, I guess I can shop around and see what that will cost. Anyone have any idea?

What I would do first is run a sump pump to that outside hole around the pool and get rid of all that water before you even think about draining your pool to fix this! If you don't, and there is water in that hole, you'll collapse the pool inward from all that water.

You're never going to get sand under the pool with water in it. Drain outside, then drain pool and fix the sand base, then install liner. As far as fill in goes, pull your deck boards and add fill if you absolutely want to do that.

No one here can say without a doubt that if left alone, would or could it cause a catastrophe. Don't take The chance. Fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.